12433Re: Family History Centers on Ubuntu

  • Marion Smith
    May 14, 2008
      Oh, I like this idea! I had never considered this before. Patron-proof
      is a good thing! My temple district is switching to the new temple
      ready program now. With PAF working under Wine and the new
      FamilySearch it could be possible that an FHC computer could run Linux.

      I might try the live disk idea.

      --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Skier" <ldsskier@...> wrote:

      > Things would be much easier with linux - the church could image a
      live CD
      > and then the FHCs could use machines that have no hard drives. No more
      > playing with deep freeze or similar, the most failure-prone part of the
      > system is eliminated (the church would save tens of thousands of dollars
      > on electric bills at least), there would be less of a load on cooling
      > systems (on economies of this scale little bits of saving here and there
      > really add up), and the systems would be absolutely patron-proof.

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic