12428Re: [fhctech] Re: Family History Centers on Ubuntu

  • simonsen
    May 7, 2008
      Just a note. You install Landesk and you install the Symantec Antivirus
      by downloading it free from
      Salt Lake. They do not install. If you do not have the up to date
      antivirus on your machines it is your
      fault not their fault. I would suggest talking to Salt Lake and doing
      your part in getting
      your machines up to date.

      Marion Smith wrote:

      > I can see I am out numbered so I will concede the point.
      >
      > I just don't think (with Microsoft moving to Vista and their new
      > harsher license agreements) that we should stay in the Microsoft camp.
      >
      > I have gotten no benefit from the LANDesk stuff. I still have
      > computers that don't have anti-virus because no one from LANDesk has
      > gotten around to installing it. And all the machines that had the old
      > anti-virus (I forget its name) don't work anymore because the church
      > has canceled that license (at least I get an error message to that
      > affect when the software attempts to download updates).
      >
      > As for not enough support for Enterprise IT, I suspect that isn't
      > true. There are plenty of businesses and governments using Linux (on
      > the desktop) in other countries (like France) that we can probably
      > find what we need (or create it ourselves).
      >
      > But the most important point to me is almost anyone can afford a
      > Linux computer. If only the software they want to run (like PAF)
      > would run on it. With efforts like Asus EEE PC, Everex's Cloudbook,
      > or just a used desktop, you can get a working Linux computer. While
      > any Windows computer will continually have hidden expenses that drive
      > an expensive computer even higher in cost (the continual cost of
      > updating and upgrading).
      >
      > With that said, I will shut up now. I won't bring it up again, I
      > promise.

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic