Re: [feyerabend-project] Motives

  • Brian Marick
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24, 2001
      There are strong forces toward monoculture, towards limiting choices. It's
      true in software - operating systems, office applications, languages. It's
      true in development methods as well: both the British Computer Society and
      the IEEE Computer Society are hot for mandating standard ways of doing what
      we don't know how to do. And even among rebel methodologies, XP is rapidly
      becoming the default choice. ("Let's all be nonconformists together.")

      Working against monoculture is certainly in the spirit of Paul Feyerabend,
      so that's one of my motives for attending.

      Another is that I, as a consultant, don't get enough opportunities to point
      at some tangible thing and say, "I was part of creating that." I'm hoping
      that some of us come away from the workshop with the goal of creating
      something. I'm fortunate that I can devote a good chunk of time to whatever
      I think is worthwhile, even if it doesn't pay.

      Finally, I want to write a PhD dissertation. I've no economic reason for
      doing that. It's mainly a way to force myself to think deeply about
      something, instead of shallowly about lots of things. But if I'm going to
      do it, I want it to be something weird. This workshop seemed (and seems)
      like one where I'd find people with wierd ideas, including academics who
      might take an interest in whatever it is I'll do.

      --
      Brian Marick, marick@...
      www.testing.com - Software testing services and resources