Re: [feyerabend-project] Tale of a Virus

  • Jerry Weinberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 18, 2001
      Joshua,
      > So after a little more research I realize that it will be cheaper to
      >just buy a new PC.
      > How utterly absurd!

      You have my deepest sympathies.

      Now I'll tell you a story. My father was in the auto repair business. One
      day, when I came up with the brilliant idea of (somehow) building
      crashproof cars, he asked me to do a little calculation.

      He had me obtain data on the number of crashes, and particularly the
      number that produced total wrecks (ones that could not be fixed for a
      reasonable cost - like Joshua's old PC). He also had me gather
      information on the auto industry, and how many cars had to be sold to
      break even, and how many had to be sold to make their current profit
      margins.

      It turned out that the number of cars that had to be replaced because of
      crashes was almost exactly equal to the number of cars that accounted for
      the profit margins of the auto industry.

      If cars didn't crash, the industry wouldn't be profitable in the same way
      - they'd have to come up with some other gimmick, like emissions testing
      or safety stickers.

      I wonder what that has to do with the PC industry not putting reset knobs
      for the BIOS?

      Jerry
      AN INTRODUCTION TO GENERAL SYSTEMS THINKING
      is now available again, at less than half the former Wiley price.
      1-800-DH-BOOKS, or http://www.geraldmweinberg.com