[CfPart] Lisp50@OOPSLA

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2008
      Lisp50@OOPSLA
      ...celebrating the 50th birthday of Lisp at OOPSLA 2008

      Monday, October 20, 2008
      Nashville, Tennessee, USA
      co-located with OOPSLA 2008
      participation is free for all OOPSLA participants
      registration for at least one conference day at OOPSLA is required

      Feed: http://lisp50.blogspot.com

      Invited Speakers

      + William Clinger, Northeastern University, USA
      + Pascal Costanza, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium
      + Richard Gabriel, IBM Research, USA
      + Rich Hickey, Independent Consultant, USA
      + Alan Kay, Viewpoints Research Institute, USA
      + Fritz Kunze, USA
      + Ora Lassila, Nokia Research Center, USA
      + John McCarthy, USA
      + Kent Pitman, PTC, USA
      + Guy Steele, Sun Microsystems Laboratories, USA
      + Herbert Stoyan, University of Erlangen, Germany
      + Warren Teitelman, Google Inc., USA
      + JonL White, USA

      Titles, abstracts, biographies and schedule will be announced at the
      Lisp50 webpage and blog in the coming days and weeks.

      Abstract

      In October 1958, John McCarthy published one in a series of reports
      about his then ongoing effort for designing a new programming language
      that would be especially suited for achieving artificial intelligence.
      That report was the first one to use the name LISP for this new
      programming language. 50 years later, Lisp is still in use. This year we
      are celebrating Lisp's 50th birthday. OOPSLA 2008 is an excellent venue
      for such a celebration, because object-oriented programming benefited
      heavily from Lisp ideas and because OOPSLA 2008 takes place in October,
      exactly 50 years after the name Lisp has been used publicly for the
      first time. We will have talks by John McCarthy himself, and numerous
      other influential Lispers from the past five decades. We will also take
      a look at the next 50 years of Lisp.

      Organizers

      + Pascal Costanza, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium
      + Richard Gabriel, IBM Research, Hawthorne, NY, USA
      + Robert Hirschfeld, Hasso-Plattner-Institut, Potsdam, Germany
      + Guy Steele, Sun Microsystems Laboratories, Burlington, MA, USA

      Sponsored by ACM SIGPLAN

      Supported by
      + IBM Research
      + LispWorks Ltd
      + Franz Inc.
      + Clozure Associates

      --
      Pascal Costanza, mailto:pc@..., http://p-cos.net
      Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Programming Technology Lab