On the stickiness of ruts

  • Brian Marick
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 17, 2001
      As I wrote my previous note (in the "some thoughts" thread), I realized I
      was doing something that annoys me. Like many consultants and experts, I
      have stock responses that I trot out at the slightest excuse. I trotted out
      two of them in that note (suggest deliverables early in a discussion,
      analogize to the philosophy of science).

      That annoys me because I prefer not to be an automaton. And I bet I'd be
      more effective if I thought more before letting reflexes take over. (I
      think my reflexes are good, mind you - which makes them even harder to
      squelch.)

      So I ask a favor. If you notice I seem to be mechanically repeating
      previous thoughts, gently remind me that that's not the spirit in which I
      want to approach this workshop. None of you have heard my set pieces
      (except in email), but I bet you'll be able to tell when I'm being
      mechanical. If you like, I'll watch out for you in return.

      --
      Brian Marick, marick@...
      www.testing.com - Software testing services and resources