Extended Deadline - May 8 - Workshop "On the Process of Game Design"

  • jb_gross
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2006

      Apologies for cross-posting.

      We've received several really great responses (on time, even!) to our CFP, but we've also
      had enough requests for extensions that we felt it only fair to make a blanket offer. The
      new deadline is Monday, May _8_. Please send all submissions to magy@... by
      this date.

      Thank you,

      2006 DIS (Designing Interactive Systems) Workshop
      On the Process of Game Design
      Call for Participation
      The game design process is largely driven by practice; while some work has been done to
      address theoretical foundations for game design, this work has been done only in
      academia. These two communities rarely come together to discuss their perspectives on
      design theories or processes. As a result, both communities work in isolation. The game
      industry works at the level of individual games, but academics are concerned primarily
      with theoretical foundations and broad scope. The goal of this workshop is to start a
      dialogue between the two communities and generate general themes and underlying
      theories. From a practical side, these theories will aid game designers in constructing
      games, help tool designers build better tools that allow designers, and support the
      research goals of academia. More broadly, these theories should help the two
      communities integrate, making science more relevant to practice and practice more viable.
      This workshop will include participants from a variety of backgrounds, including art,
      architecture, game studies, and computer science, and will also include academics and
      practitioners. The workshop will be composed of interactive sessions in which participants
      engage in hands-on applications of specific theories, as well as discussions about design
      We are looking for papers that address the game design process, including game tuning,
      design theories, design frameworks, multi-disciplinary aspects of design, aesthetics,
      psychology of design, definition of fun, patterns of play, etc. We encourage papers that
      will serve as a foundation for interactive presentations that allow participants to engage in
      a design activity.
      Send a 1-3-page position paper in PDF to: magy@...
      Due Date: 8 May 2006
      Notification of acceptance: 30 May 2006
      Please check http://gamedesign.ist.psu.edu/ for updates.
      Program Committee
      Chris Crawford, StoryTron
      Andrew Gordon, University of Southern California
      Joshua B. Gross, Penn State University
      Damian Isla, Bungie Studios
      Darla Lindberg, Penn State University
      Keith Miron, Inxile-Entertainment
      Simon Niedenthal,  Malmö University
      Madis Pihlak, Penn State University
      Yusuf Pisan, University of Technology, Sydney
      Magy Seif El-Nasr, Penn State University
      Brian Smith, Penn State University
      Bill Tomlinson, University of California at Irvine
      Robert Zubek, Maxis/Electronic Arts
      Joseph A. Zupko, Penn State University