Biological Framings Reference

  • Pam Rostal
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2006
      University of Wisconsin (Madison) biologist Sean B. Carroll has just
      published a book called "Endless Forms Most Beautiful" in which he
      discusses the results of his research on how genes trigger the
      formation of appendages or colorations in analogous parts of different
      animal species. Forelimbs of salamanders, sauropods, mice and humans
      are homologs, as are their hindlimbs. Within a single species,
      hindlimbs and forelimbs are serial homologs relative to each other.
      This suggests that patterns in software should appear at a very high
      level and may support Dave West's contention that the whole world
      might be modeled by a relatively few classes if we could figure out
      what the appropriate methods would be to turn them on and off.

      I've just started reading it, which explains why this message may
      sound garbled, but I've heard him speak on the subject, and it's
      fascinating, whether it applies to software or not.

      Pam