[CfP] 2nd European Lisp & Scheme Workshop

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2005
      | 2nd European Lisp and Scheme Workshop |
      | July 26 - Glasgow, Scotland - co-located with ECOOP 2005 |
      | Supported by ALU |

      - The workshop will include a keynote by Richard P. Gabriel. (pending)
      - We are looking for papers & for breakout group proposals! (see below)

      Important Dates:
      Submission deadline: May 16, 2005
      Notification of acceptance: May 27, 2005
      ECOOP early registration deadline: pending

      For more information visit
      http://lisp-ecoop05.bknr.net (expect a few updates in the near future)
      or contact pc@...

      Pascal Costanza, Programming Technology Lab, Vrije Universiteit Brussel
      Theo D'Hondt, Programming Technology Lab, Vrije Universiteit Brussel
      Arthur Lemmens, Independent Consultant, Amsterdam
      Manuel Serrano, INRIA Sophia-Antipolis, France

      Website: Hans Huebner, Berlin

      Lisp has a tradition of providing a fruitful basis for language design
      experiments for many decades. The structure of Lisp, including its
      current major dialects Common Lisp and Scheme, makes it easy to extend
      the language or even to implement entirely new dialects without
      starting from scratch. The Common Lisp Object System (CLOS) was the
      first object-oriented programming language to receive an ANSI standard.
      It is, arguably, the most complete and advanced object system of any

      Despite having somewhat disappeared from the radar of popular computer
      science, Lisp has just started to gain momentum again. There is a
      steadily growing interest in Lisp as such, with numerous user groups
      having formed recently worldwide, and Lisp's metaprogramming notions
      that are being transferred to other languages to different extents, as
      for example in AOP, MDA, DSL, and so on.

      This one-day workshop will address the near-future role of Lisp-based
      languages in research, industry and education. We want to solicit
      papers and suggestions for breakout groups that discuss the
      opportunities Lisp provides to capture and enhance the possibilities
      in software engineering. We also want to promote lively discussion
      between researchers proposing new approaches and practitioners
      reporting on their experience with the strengths and limitations of
      current Lisp technologies.

      Suggested Topics:
      * Macro programming
      * Metaprogramming
      * Reflection
      * New language features / abstractions
      * Case studies
      * Experience reports
      * Industrial applications
      * Object-Oriented Programming
      * Declarative Programming
      * Aspect-Oriented Programming
      * Domain-Oriented Programming
      * Generative Programming
      * Ambient Intelligence
      * Unanticipated Software Evolution
      * Design Patterns
      * Educational Perspectives

      Breakout Groups

      We want to promote to take advantage of meeting other Lispers and
      Schemers face to face by organizing breakout groups around focused
      topics. Example topics: Discuss the feature set of the next version
      of Slime; work on details of the CLRFI process; exchange experiences
      with various macro systems for Scheme; detail a wishlist for R6RS;
      compare and enhance curricula for computer science education. And so on.

      In order to have effective discussions at those breakout groups, we
      are negotiating meeting rooms for an extra day in addition to the
      actual workshop with the ECOOP organizers.

      Submission Guidelines

      Potential attendants are expected to submit
      * either a long paper (10 pages) presenting scientific and/or
      empirical results about Lisp- and Scheme-based uses or new
      approaches for software engineering purposes
      * or a short essay (5 pages) defending a position about where research
      and practice based on Lisp and Scheme should be heading in the near
      * a proposal for a breakout group (1-2 pages) describing the theme, an
      agenda and/or expected results

      Submissions should be mailed as PDF to Pascal Costanza
      (pc@...) before the submission deadline. Please indicate whether
      you need an earlier notification of acceptance than the official date.