Review of "Mixing Methods"

  • jb_gross
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 23, 2004
      Several people asked to see a copy of the review, so I decided to
      upload it. Sorry for the delay, needed to get permission from the co-
      author, first.

      Please note that this review is under submission now. It's written
      for an HCI audience. Any comments/suggestions/critiques are welcome.

      You can find it by going to:
      and selecting mixingMethodsReviewDraft2.pdf

      Enjoy, and happy holidays,
      Josh
    • Mike Beedle
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 27, 2005
        Some people in this list have been interested in "biological metaphors of
        computing" in the past.... (in fact, the Alexanderian theory of patterns
        follows a biological metaphor).

        In regards to this interest, there are some really interesting publications
        from Gerhard Mack at:
        http://lienhard.desy.de/mackag/cs/call.shtml?pub_sy

        Among them:

        Simulation of Complex Systems by Enzymatic Computation

        Universal Dynamics, a Unified Theory of Complex Systems. Emergence, Life and
        Death

        To Gauge Theory from a Minimum of a priori Structure

        Gauge Theory of Things Alive and Universal Dynamics

        ***

        This works merges work in Field Theory, Agents, Cellular Automatas,
        Complexity (auto-catalytic processes, replicators, etc.), patterns, software
        concepts; that I think makes it very unique.

        Btw, the "enzymatic computation" is done in a Lisp-like scripting language,

        - Mike