Extravagaria Workshop: Art Assisting Science

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2004
      Over the years I've looked a little at the question of how art and
      science are related. In 2002 I ran a small workshop on the topic, but
      we really didn't get much beyond the surface. I want to try again
      with more preparation beforehand and with a couple of co-organizers
      who are more qualified than I am. The following paragraph is from the
      workshop description:

      Artists and scientists share the most important human goal: the
      search for truth. Their methods and approaches differ, and their
      results are in different languages, but there is no a priori reason
      to grant primacy to either. In educational research, and possibly in
      other domains, there is thriving work on using the techniques of
      art-especially creative writing-to explore research questions and
      explain results. In software, we not only seek truth and reality, but
      we create it. Certainly there is a role for art here. This workshop
      explores that question.

      The venue again is OOPSLA in the Northwest, but this time it's
      Vancouver. The description and call for participation are here

      http://dreamsongs.com/Feyerabend/Extravagaria2.html

      I've set up a Wiki which we will use to gather context and material,
      and contributing to the Wiki is one way to formally apply for
      admission.

      http://www.dreamsongs.com/cgi-bin/ExtravagariaWiki/index.cgi

      Please take a look at the description and the other organizers, and
      maybe you'll find yourself interested. Also, please pass this note
      along to any others whom you think might be interested.