Finding A Paradigm

  • skipperproject@freeuk.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2004
      Hello Everybody,

      I little over a year ago I suggested that we can understand the
      difference between procedural (deductive) and non-procedural (inductive)
      approaches by thinking of ourselves as "running a multifractal" in
      either the generating direction (much ado about very little) or the
      compressing direction (the way to elegance). This, perhaps, is the
      reason why programming is akin to poetry.

      There's now an expansion of that train of thought, bringing in the
      alchemical and artistic traditions as well as examining the bias
      towards deductivism in most cultures, available at:

      http://www.reciprocality.org/thirdage

      with a tarball at:

      http://www.reciprocality.org/thirdage.tgz

      Chapter 1 expands on the thinking of a year ago.

      Chapter 2 makes links to ADHD diagnosis in schools, and may interest
      anyone who has wondered about the now proven relationship between
      autism and having engineers as parents.

      Chapter 3 seems to connect to the link Pascal posted a while ago about
      a "revolution in logic". It may contain practical examples of this very
      issue.

      Chapter 4 might be considered science fiction, but at least it suggests
      one way that the universe could have ended up with the properties we
      observe - and at least it's internally self consistent!

      The rest only makes sense to those who are at least entertained by the
      foregoing!

      From our point of view, it offers no easy answers. Great programs will
      continue to be as rare and as precious as great poems - but at least we
      can know why this is so, and can forever give up the search for simple
      procedures to do our awareness for us!

      Best wishes,

      Alan Carter