Re: [feyerabend-project] More Preparation Notes

  • Ward Cunningham
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 9, 2001
      I've sure enjoyed reading this list. There are so many things feyerabend could
      be. I'll add one more thought and ask that you consider it briefly, especially
      if ambition gets so high that you have self doubts about your own abilities to
      contribute.

      I would consider it an accomplishment if computers routinely worked as
      well as I have seen them work on occasion.

      --
      Ward Cunningham
      v 503-245-5633 mailto:ward@...
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 18, 2001
        I think this demands a response some some *** comments and ???
        questions.

        Dave

        Jerry Weinberg wrote:

        > In reading over the various posts so far, I've been nagged by what seems
        > a common underlying assumption that we're all making:
        >
        > Getting help from computers ought to be easier
        > than getting help from other people (or even from ourselves).

        *** I certainly do not, nor do I think most of the people posting.

        > I wonder.
        >
        > Maybe if we understood more about what makes some human interactions
        > helpful/fun/beautiful/satisfying/whatever [and the opposites], we would
        > understand more about what we ought(?) to be trying for with our
        > machines.

        *** I can't imagine any susbstative disagreement with this idea. It is
        the concrete how that is the challenge. Clearly forcing CS students to
        take a token arts course isn't.

        > For example,
        >
        > - Why would we believe that a programmer who can't really get along with
        > people can design/implement software that can?

        > - Are we so heavily involved in these questions as a displacement of our
        > insoluble problems with other people?
        >
        > - What are our motives, anyway?
        ??? Who is "our" and motives for "what"?
        > - ?
        ????