Termites Inspire Paper Pusher

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 25, 2003
    • Mike Beedle
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 26, 2003
        http://www.computing.co.uk/News/1143845

        My votes go to:

        1) 1. IVIS: In Vivo <-> In Silico
        (similar to some Feyerabend goals
        in the past:
        http://www.dreamsongs.org/Feyerabend/BiologicalFramings.html
        Alife:
        http://www.alife.org
        *(Check out the latest proceedings at:
        http://parallel.hpc.unsw.edu.au/complex/alife8/)
        and of the Living Metaphor project:
        http://www.livingmetaphor.org

        2) 5. Architecture of Brain and Mind

        3) 7. Journeys in Non-Classical Computing
        (Similar to 1 but with the metaphor twist.)

        - Mike

        "I self-organize therefore I am."

        Side note: Will that be you or something else?

        Is you, your physical you? your mind? your consciousness?
        or your soul? The likely answer is all of the above as far as
        we know today.

        But within the next 10 years we will be able to save
        exact neural net replicas of our minds to persistence, and
        possibly within the next 30 years we might attain
        "artificial consciousness" through robotic extensions
        for these images of our minds.

        Will there be "you" in that?

        Moreover, in the next 50-100 years we will be able to use
        gene treatment to manipulate the growth and characteristics
        of any human tissue, you could then simply "fix yourself
        through gene drugs and live almost forever", "enhance yourself
        through gene drugs" -- if you can afford it, or download
        an image of your mind to another physical or artificial
        brain or being, and _be_ there as an invited or uninvited
        guest.

        But will there be some of "you" in that?

        One day we will have the choice to answer:

        "What you do you want to be today?"

        But I don't mean just "what saved or altered image of you
        do you want to run or be today?".

        Even among all options above it makes sense to ask:

        "What you do you want to be today?"
      • Logan, Patrick D
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 29, 2003
          I would choose these three from the list as 15 year Grand Challenges.
          They all appear to be fairly related compared with the others, so their
          union I guess would be my ultimate Grand Challenge.

          4. Scalable Ubiquitous Computing Systems

          The challenge of the project is to establish design principles working
          on a 'build and learn' principle.

          6. Dependable Systems Evolution

          The project aims to establish a scientific foundation to build systems
          whose dependability can be justified, even when it is faced with the
          most extreme threats.

          7. Journeys in Non-Classical Computing

          Working on the basis that biology can operate accurately and safely in
          an open, changing environment, the project will seek to mimic that with
          computers.

          -Patrick