Some good news

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 23, 2003
      Hi there,

      Lisp has a future.

      I have been to the workshop on "object-oriented programming language
      engineering for the post-Java era" at ECOOP yesterday. (see
      http://prog.vub.ac.be/~wdmeuter/PostJava/ )

      Among the presentations, there have been two that were clearly
      Lisp-related (one by Matthias Hoelzl and one by me), and one was
      somewhat related to Lisp (by Wolfgang De Meuter). There have been about
      40 participants altogether which is quite a lot for such a workshop, and
      there were several (mostly) Smalltalkers and some Lispers.

      Now the really good news: The talks by Matthias and me created the wish
      among some participants to hear more about Lisp, and so we organized a
      spontaneous Lisp BOF in the evening in which I have talked about
      metacircularity and macros. Although we haven't promoted the BOF
      strongly, we have got ten participants. In other words, 25% of the
      participants of that workshop have shown a desire to learn something
      about Lisp, and I think this is quite a lot.

      There are some ideas to organize something more official specifically
      about Lisp at next year's ECOOP.

      http://www.pascalcostanza.de Römerstr. 164, D-53117 Bonn (Germany)
    • Theo D'Hondt
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 23, 2003
        count us in!

        On Wednesday, July 23, 2003, at 02:20 PM, Pascal Costanza wrote:

        > Hi there,
        >
        > Lisp has a future.
        >
        > I have been to the workshop on "object-oriented programming language
        > engineering for the post-Java era" at ECOOP yesterday. (see
        > http://prog.vub.ac.be/~wdmeuter/PostJava/ )
        >
        > Among the presentations, there have been two that were clearly
        > Lisp-related (one by Matthias Hoelzl and one by me), and one was
        > somewhat related to Lisp (by Wolfgang De Meuter). There have been about
        > 40 participants altogether which is quite a lot for such a workshop,
        > and
        > there were several (mostly) Smalltalkers and some Lispers.
        >
        > Now the really good news: The talks by Matthias and me created the wish
        > among some participants to hear more about Lisp, and so we organized a
        > spontaneous Lisp BOF in the evening in which I have talked about
        > metacircularity and macros. Although we haven't promoted the BOF
        > strongly, we have got ten participants. In other words, 25% of the
        > participants of that workshop have shown a desire to learn something
        > about Lisp, and I think this is quite a lot.
        >
        > There are some ideas to organize something more official specifically
        > about Lisp at next year's ECOOP.
        >

        > Pascal
        >
        > --
        > Pascal Costanza University of Bonn
        > mailto:costanza@... Institute of Computer Science III
        > http://www.pascalcostanza.de Römerstr. 164, D-53117 Bonn (Germany)

        > ---------------------~-->
        > Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US &
        > Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson,
        > Lexmark & more.
        > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/GFYolB/TM

        Theo D'Hondt
        Programming Technology Lab : Computer Science Department
        Faculty of Sciences : Brussels Free University
        Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / BELGIUM EUROPE
        mailto:tjdhondt@... http://prog.vub.ac.be/~tjdhondt
        Phone : +32-2-629 33 08 Fax : +32-2-629 35 25
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 23, 2003
          At 14:20 +0200 7/23/03, Pascal Costanza wrote:

          >There are some ideas to organize something more official specifically
          >about Lisp at next year's ECOOP.

          I'm in.