Feyerabend workshop @ ETAPS 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2003
      We have extended the submission deadline for the Feyerabend workshop
      that takes place at this year's ETAPS. Please see below.

      Extended Call for Position Papers: Feyerabend
      Redefining Computing

      In conjunction with
      ETAPS 2003
      European Joint Conferences on Theory and Practice of Software
      Warsaw, Poland
      April 12, 2003

      For more information, visit
      http://www.dreamsongs.com/Feyerabend/ETAPS03/

      Contact
      mailto:costanza@...

      Important Dates

      Position paper due: March 28th, 2003 ***EXTENDED DEADLINE***
      Early registration deadline: February 5th, 2003

      Overview

      Fifty years into the First Computing Era some of us in the computing
      arena have come to realize we have made a false start that cannot be
      fixed, and for us to finally be able to produce lasting, correct,
      beautiful, usable, scalable, enjoyable software that stands the tests of
      time and moral human endeavour, we need to start over. Perhaps we will
      be able to salvage some of what we have learned from the First Era, but
      we expect almost everything except the most mathematical and
      philosophical fundamentals to be brushed aside.

      In 1975, Berkeley philosopher Paul Feyerabend wrote a book called
      "Against Method", in which he said: "...one of the most striking
      features of recent discussions in the history and philosophy of science
      is the realization that events and developments ... occurred only
      because some thinkers either decided not to be bound by certain
      "obvious" methodological rules, or because they unwittingly broke them.
      This liberal practice, I repeat, is not just a fact of the history of
      science. It is both reasonable and absolutely necessary for the growth
      of knowledge. More specifically, one can show the following: given any
      rule, however "fundamental" or necessary" for science, there are always
      circumstances when it is advisable not only to ignore the rule, but to
      adopt its opposite."

      In "The Invisible Computer", Donald Norman wrote, "...the current
      paradigm is so thoroughly established that the only way to change is to
      start over again."

      The Feyerabend Project is an attempt (triggered by Richard P. Gabriel)
      to repair the arena of software development and practice. This workshop
      is one in a series leading up to an event to reinvent computing. For that
      event, a most diverse group of 75 people will be put together. The
      result of the two-week event will be the first steps toward a road map
      for massive rebuilding of computing - both as a theoretical endeavour as
      a practice - and toward a plan to accomplish it.

      The goal of this workshop is to bring together everyone who is
      interested in the redefinition of computing and/or in the use of
      alternative metaphors/languages/ideas for entering the Next Era of
      computer science. The major problem with the current flow of ideas is
      that current approaches merely enable the construction of software that
      is too brittle and too rigid in order to survive and operate in our real
      world which is dynamic and constantly subject to change.

      Topics of interest include but are not limited to:

      * Computing metaphors (biology, physics,...)
      * Programming language paradigms
      * Human computer interaction
      * Philosophical considerations
      * Forgotten technologies (actors,..)
      * Brand new & wild ideas
      * Programming as a social activity

      Submission Guideline

      Authors are strongly invited to submit a position paper or essay
      containing their vision on the redefinition of computing. The essay
      should not exceed 4 pages and should be submitted by March 28th, 2003.
      Accompanying this paper, authors are expected to submit a topic of
      discussion they would like to see addressed during the workshop.
      Submissions are required in electronic form. Please send an e-mail
      containing your essay in Postscript or pdf to costanza@....

      http://www.pascalcostanza.de Römerstr. 164, D-53117 Bonn (Germany)