Re: [feyerabend-project] OOPSLA Workshop Invitation

  • Gross Joshua
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 18, 2002
      I think that this is a good idea. The problem is that
      our interests seem diverse (and perhaps divergent).
      Can we create a manifesto that will result in a
      coherent and somehow unified body of work?

      I think it is possible. We have some commonalities: a
      belief in technology, an appreciation for the human in
      technology, and a generally broad view of "technology"
      topics.

      Perhaps, once we have a manifestoa, we should start
      our own journal (e.g. "The Feyerabend Journal of
      Computer Science Articles Previously Rejected as not
      Computer Science-y Enough")?

      -Josh
      --- Pascal Costanza <costanza@...> wrote:
      > Here are my $0.02: I think a kind of "Feyerabend
      > manifesto" could be
      > really helpful. One thing Dick has noticed correctly
      > is that it is hard
      > to get a paper accepted at conferences that is not
      > part of normal
      > science (in Kuhnian terms - I don't know if Dick
      > stated it explicitly
      > like this, but this is something I have drawn from
      > his several
      > writings/presentations/discussions).
      >
      > One of my experiences is that I have got a paper
      > rejected with the
      > stated reasoning that it's not important that a
      > language is easily
      > understood but it rather needs to be statically type
      > safe. Regardless
      > whether my paper was good or not, this is a
      > statement that sounds
      > strange to me, to say the least.
      >
      > What do you think?

      http://faith.yahoo.com
    • patrickdlogan
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 26, 2002
        First a question: any reports from OOPSLA?

        Then a follow-up to a message from last month...

        > The problem is that our interests seem diverse (and perhaps
        > divergent). Can we create a manifesto that will result in a
        > coherent and somehow unified body of work?

        I would think at this stage a Feyerabend manifesto would be somewhat
        diverse in its manifestations. What's needed today is diversity and
        experimentation rather than coherence and unification. A manifesto
        should promote those qualities.

        > Perhaps, once we have a manifestoa, we should start our own journal
        > (e.g. "The Feyerabend Journal of Computer Science Articles
        > Previously Rejected as not Computer Science-y Enough")?

        This on-line group archive seems to be enough of a journal. What's
        missing I think is discussion, especially about ideas and experiments.

        I am interested in time-oriented, history-preserving data streams,
        simple coordination models, adaptive object models, workflow, and
        process & rule definitions, simple & composable user interfaces, all
        made available to non-CS programmers.

        Primarily I am interested in finding simple ways for non-CS
        programmers to create time and space distributed adaptable systems.
      • Jay Han
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 26, 2002
          http://www.dreamsongs.com/Essays.html#ObjectsHaveFailed "Objects have
          failed" debate is very interesting. I thank rpg for making his notes
          available and hope the other participants in the debate would do likewise.