Lisp: Dessert toppings, Floor waxes, and Feyerabend Directions

  • Logan, Patrick D
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 29, 2002
      In the spirit of postmodern programming,
      (http://www.mcs.vuw.ac.nz/~kjx/papers/nopp.pdf), my primary tools are:

      JScheme (http://jscheme.sourceforge.net/jscheme/mainwebpage.html)

      and

      SISC (http://sisc.sourceforge.net/)

      Both are excellent implementations of Scheme integrated with Java.

      JScheme's strength is its clever notation for referencing Java from Scheme.
      While it is not a full implementation of Scheme and it makes compromises
      toward Java rather than Scheme data types, it makes a good scripting tool
      for leveraging the Java libraries.

      SISC's strength is its full implementation of Scheme, high-performance
      interpreter, and more verbose but still complete integration with Java.
      Although it can be used very well for scripting as with JScheme, it is
      better than JScheme for building more elaborate components and applications.

      This is the ideal postmodern approach to Lisp, i.e. somewhat less
      sophisticated than a commercial CL but full advantage of all available Java
      components, including access to the XML-RPC and SOAP implementations that
      allow even further postmodern forays into the web world.

      None of this is Feyerabend-quality in my opinion though. I see this approach
      as a platform for bringing post-postmodern capabilities into being.

      -Patrick
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 29, 2002
        "Logan, Patrick D" wrote:

        > In the spirit of postmodern programming,
        > (http://www.mcs.vuw.ac.nz/~kjx/papers/nopp.pdf), my primary tools are:
        >
        > JScheme (http://jscheme.sourceforge.net/jscheme/mainwebpage.html)
        >
        > and
        >
        > SISC (http://sisc.sourceforge.net/)

        Very interesting links! I have quickly skipped nopp.pdf and I have found
        it strange that Common Lisp is considered a modern language. I would
        rather have classified it as a post-modern language. I have to read the
        paper a little bit more carefully...

        http://www.pascalcostanza.de Römerstr. 164, D-53117 Bonn (Germany)