OOPSLA Workshop Invitation

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8 3:42 PM
      I am organizing a workshop at OOPSLA this November to explore the question
      of when and how it makes sense to use the techniques of art (writing
      [including poetry], painting, postmodernism [including deconstruction],
      music, performance, etc) to assist the pursuit of science. The OOPSLA Web
      page describing the workshop is at

      http://oopsla.acm.org/ap/files/wor-27.html

      and my webpage for it is at

      http://www.dreamsongs.com/Feyerabend/Extravagaria.html

      The following are most of the very few papers I know of on this topic:

      "Aesthetic Modes of Knowing" by Elliot Eisner, in "Learning and Teaching
      the Ways of Knowing," edited by Elliot Eisner.

      "Arts-based Educational Research," by Tom Barrone and Elliot Eisner in
      "Complementary Methods in Educational Research," edited by Richard M.
      Jaeger.

      "Voices Inside Schools: Notes from a Marine Biologist's Daughter: On the Art
      and Science of Attention," by Anne McCrary Sullivan, in Harvard Educational
      Review, Vol 70 No. 2, Summer 2000.

      "Envisioning Science: The Design and Craft of the Science Image," by Felice
      Frankel.

      This will be a workshop where we explore ideas rather than one where we
      present well-worked-out stuff. We are open to all sorts of proposals,
      submissions, and ideas. Please forward this to anyone or any mailing list
      you think would be interested in it, but please be tasteful and considerate
      in doing so.

      Thanks.