"Life as a Computer" or "Computers as Life"?

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25, 2002
      This may be interesting for the group though it may be
      "old news" for some.

      1) Molecular Computing The computer is literally "life".
      http://www.sciam.com/2000/0600issue/0600reed.html
      http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2002/tc2002014_0027.htm
      http://www.chemcomp.com/
      http://ls11-www.informatik.uni-dortmund.de/molcomp/
      etc.

      2) Genetic Programming.

      The computer simulates "life".
      http://www.genetic-programming.org
      http://www.geneticprogramming.com/
      etc.

      - Mike
    • patrickdlogan
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2002
        --- In feyerabend-project@y..., "Mike Beedle" <beedlem@e...> wrote:

        > * Time-oriented metaphor.

        I've been playing around in this "dimension", so to speak. What if
        every many-many association was a time-series? You have access too all
        changes over time. Every entity is "versioned" by time, and the
        many-many associations are essentially sets of references to each
        entities' version in place at the time the association is made.

        I don't know much about Lifestreams, except as a presentation
        mechanism. Maybe a Lifestream is or could be represented as a
        time-series association of data?

        > 2. Linda on the Web.

        I've been playing with this too, using IBM's TSpaces. Although I am
        interested in trying Rogue Wave's XML Spaces as well, since it has
        more support for XML-based data.

        http://www.roguewave.com/developer/tac/ruple/

        I agree this mechanism has not received its due (yet). Another simple,
        powerful tool that follows the principle that the dynamic is better
        than the static. Static is a special case of dynamic, and not vice
        versa.

        I am interested to learn how Lifestreams and Tuple Spaces are related?
        I know they came from the same lab, and that Tuple Spaces can
        coordinate actions and information over time. But what else?

        > 3. LISP. Why LISP?

        Of course. 8^)

        I've been using JScheme because it is simple and sits on top of
        today's assembler language, Java.

        And because, well, it is Lisp. It has adapted well to 40 years of
        software technology so why ask why?

        -Patrick Logan