FW: [alife] workshop

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2002
      This workshop:
          "Self-Organisation and Evolution of Social Behaviour."
      might be interesting to some in this list.
      - Mike
      My own thoughts on the application of the Patterns of Life to organizations are at:

      ******************Call For Papers**************

      Monte Verità, Switzerland, September 8-13, 2002

      International workshop on:

      "Self-Organisation and Evolution of Social Behaviour."

      Organised by Charlotte K. Hemelrijk and Eric Bonabeau.

      Scope and Aims

      The different techniques covered by the term ‘Artificial Life’ can be used, among other things, for improving our understanding to what extent observed social behaviour may be due to self-organisation and what implications this has for evolutionary theories. Although in this field major discoveries have been made, the methods developed by Artificial Life have not been adopted sufficiently in mainstream biology, anthropology and sociology.

      One of the aims of the workshop is to promote such integration in the vast area of the study of social behaviour.

      Both modellers and empiricists are welcome to present their views at this workshop (for more information see www.ifi.unizh.ch/events/monteverita2002).

      Contributions are solicited from (but are not confined to) the following areas:

      ·       Group formation/coordination

      ·       Collective decisions

      ·       Dominance interactions

      ·       Societies

      ·       Task distribution

      ·       Mate choice

      ·       Communication

      ·       Cultural Transmission

      ·       Evolution of Social Systems

      ·       Social and economic evolution

      The workshop is limited to a maximum number of 60 participants, who will be expected to attend the entire workshop. The scientific program will consist of keynote lectures by approximately 15 invited speakers, contributed oral and poster presentations and panel discussions, on any aspects of Self-organisation and evolution of social behaviour (theoretic and empirical).

      Invited Speakers:

      ·         Eric Bonabeau, Paris

      ·         Scott Camazine, Penn State

      ·         Jean-Louis Denebourg, Brussels

      ·         Joshua Epstein, Brookings Institute

      ·         Raghavendra Gadagkar, Bangalore

      ·         Serge Galam, Paris

      ·         Charlotte Hemelrijk, Zürich

      ·         Paulien Hogeweg, Utrecht

      ·         Norman Johnson, Los Alamos

      ·         Robert D. Martin, Chicago

      ·         Robin Moritz, Halle

      ·         Rolf Pfeifer, Zürich

      ·         Bernard Thierry, Strassbourg

      ·         Kees Weijer, Dundee

      ·         David Sloan Wilson, Binghamton, USA

      For Registration and Guidelines of Submission of Contributions (10-paged-papers and Extended Abstracts), see web: www.ifi.unizh.ch/events/monteverita2002.

                  After the conference, we intend produce an edited book and or to guest-edit a journal issue, such as Behaviour or possibly Artificial Life, using part, or all of these papers.

      Important Dates for Authors:

      From now on, till February 15th 2002: Submission of title/abstract of the topic chosen.

      Within two weeks after receipt: Our notification as regards acceptance of the topic follows.

      March 1, 2002: Submission of papers/long abstracts to Charlotte Hemelrijk (hemelrij@...)

      Mai 1, 2002: Our notification as regards acceptance and comments will be send to you.

      June 1, 2002: Final paper due for conference proceedings

      Looking forward to welcoming you in Switzerland,

      Charlotte Hemelrijk

      E-mail  hemelrij@...