The Influence of the Psychology of Programming on a Language Design

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2001
      Hi, there.

      Here is just another paper that I am rather excited about at the moment:

      * J.F. Pane and B.A. Myers: "The Influence of the Psychology of
      Programming on a Language Design: Project Status Report"
      http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~pane/PoPInfluence.html

      Abstract: "Research in Psychology of Programming (PoP) and related
      fields over the past thirty years has identified many important
      usability issues for programming languages and tools. However, when new
      programming languages are designed these findings do not seem to have
      much impact, so popular modern languages continue to exhibit many of the
      same old problems. This paper reviews the progress of an ongoing project
      to elevate the influence of PoP on the design of a new programming
      language. In the context of designing a new programming language for
      children, we cataloged and interpreted the prior work, performed new
      studies where questions remained unanswered, and have focused on
      usability throughout the design. In addition to producing a system that
      is easier to learn and use than existing systems, we hope to exemplify a
      process that could be adopted by other language designers to improve the
      usability of their systems."

      All best,

      Pascal Costanza Email: costanza@...
      University of Bonn Roemerstr. 164
      Institute of Computer Science III D-53117 Bonn (Germany)

      Fon: +49 (0)228 73-4505 Homepage:
      Fax: +49 (0)228 73-4382 http://www.pascalcostanza.de