Two interesting papers by Thomas Green

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2001
      Hi.

      I don't know if anyone of you knows about Thomas Green, but I have just
      stumbled across his website and found two of his papers very
      interesting. They are:

      * "Cognitive Approaches to Software Comprehension: Results, Gaps and
      Limitations"
      http://www.ndirect.co.uk/~thomas.green/workStuff/Papers/LimerickTalk1997/LimerickTalk.html

      * "Ironies of Abstraction"
      http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/projects/twd/mypapers/BPS-3rd-thinking.html

      Here is a quote from the conclusions section of the first paper:

      "Conclusion: People do what's easiest

      [...] people use the easiest resources available. Historically, the
      development of languages and environments has made control flow
      information much more accessible than other types, so the
      'control-flow-first' model is a good approximation of most existing
      environments. But the way forward in designing environments and in
      understanding comprehension, if my interpretation is correct, is to
      offer programmers the chance to choose from a richer array of resources.
      That means we need to improve access to other types of information,
      especially that which is 'upstream'. We can do that by changing either
      the language or the working environment [...]."

      And here is a short one from the second paper: "Indeed, many successful
      computer-based systems make very few calls for abstractions, and may
      perhaps be successful for that very reason."

      All best and a happy new year,

      Pascal Costanza Email: costanza@...
      University of Bonn Roemerstr. 164
      Institute of Computer Science III D-53117 Bonn (Germany)

      Fon: +49 (0)228 73-4505 Homepage:
      Fax: +49 (0)228 73-4382 http://www.pascalcostanza.de