Re: Self-Aware Solutions (was: The moral questions)

  • Ali Arsanjani
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 10, 2001
      Phil Wrote:

      > This makes me conclude that you either 1) have a breakthrough solution
      that
      > will change the way we use computers and live our lives, or 2) have an
      > approach to the problem (like countless others in this industry) that
      hasn't
      > really gotten us anywhere. Nothing personal. My understanding of the
      > Feyerabend Project is that they are motivated by the latter.

      I think there are usually more answers to a question than its extremes.
      Between the 1) and 2) that you mentioned above are a spectrum of
      increasingly
      valuable contributations that we should try and avoid bulk-labeling.

      Instead, consider rhe fact that each solution presents a balancing of some
      forces
      and imbalances others, much like a pattern itself.

      > 1. What precisely do you mean by "grammar-oriented object design"?
      > 2. What are the terms in a domain-specific business language
      > described in terms of?

      Check out some of papers and the link to GOOD on my web page at
      www.arsanjani.org

      > I would also be interested in what some of your experiences at IBM GS are
      in
      > applying this in your engagements, and whether you were able to figure out
      > way to justify its ROI to your sponsors.

      Sure. Application in enagagements has been going on for some while (since
      1998); sometimes
      I don't even mention WHAT we are doing (labeling it) versus "just doing it";
      applying the methods
      and techniques to get results.

      But we can take that offline.

      Regards,