RE: What kinds of things?

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2001
      Bob Haugen asks:
      > From: Panu Viljamaa
      > > Going in the direction from "How to build?" to "What to
      > build?", we should
      > arrive at the question "Why to build?"
      >
      > In the midst of the last few messages, I started to wonder,
      > what do people have in mind in this discussion?
      >
      > * autonomic systems (self-healing etc)
      > * autonomous intelligent agents
      > * intelligent assistants to humans
      > * weak "artificial life"
      > * evolving software
      > * "strong AI"
      > * intelligent replacements for humans
      >
      > * something else?
      >
      > Not that the categories above are necessarily
      > mutually exclusive...

      Bob:

      Good question. In my view, the answer is all of the above
      but probably less:

      - there is a wide range of diversity: some agents
      are more intelligent than others but none reach
      the "strong AI" level
      - despite this diversity there are much larger
      populations of "dumb" agents that operate on
      very simple rules i.e. like neurons
      - perceived overall intelligence is achieved by the
      interaction of the mostly "dumb" agents
      - some agents operate unaffected by humans
      i.e. like internal healing systems
      - some other agents do interact with humans
      but they do not attempt to replace human
      intelligence
      etc.

      All of this still within the spirit of a "Living Metaphor":

      lots of dumb things interacting through simple rules.

      - Mike