"Everybody is doing it"

  • dmanoles@eecs.ku.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2001
      At OOPLSA I've asked several people about their take on the current
      state of the software, particularly how we got here. While talking to
      Brian Marick I remember telling him that one of the main problems
      stems from the fact that "everybody is doing it" (i.e., write
      software). (Subsequently I contrasted this with what happens in the EE
      neck of the woods and concluded that it's tricky to draw a parallel
      between EE and CS; but that's a different story ;) Last week I had my
      students read Alan Kay's Ealy History of Smalltalk and have ran into
      something along the same lines. Here's the relevant fragment for the
      enjoyment of the group (the article is available from ACM's DL; this
      bit is on page 40, 2nd paragraph):

      A twnetieth century problem is that technology has become too "easy."
      When it was hard to do anything whether good or bad, enough time was
      taken so that the result was usually good. Now we can make anything
      almost trivially, especially in software, but most of the designs are
      trivial as well. This in inverse vandalism: the making of things
      because you can.

      -Dragos