Re: [feyerabend-project] Is Code Optimization Research Relevant?

  • Dave Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 15, 2001
      For those who like Pike's lament you may also want to see

      Bill Pugh's "Is Code Optimization Research Relevant?"
      http://www.cs.umd.edu/~pugh/

      ( if you have never see Skip Lists I also recommend you look at
      ftp://ftp.cs.umd.edu/pub/skipLists/skiplists.pdf by Bill Pugh to add it to
      your neat and useful
      algorithms list)

      Regards,
      Dave
    • Theo D'Hondt
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 27, 2001
        In the spirit of the ongoing discussion on "great stuff no one knows about"
        I tried to reconstruct some material on the dataflow language Lucid (or
        pLucid in 1 of its variants) and although I tried I couldn't find any
        stuff in any of the obvious places. Ideas anyone?

        Theo D'Hondt
        Programming Technology Lab : Computer Science Department
        Faculty of Sciences : Brussels Free University
        Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / BELGIUM EUROPE
        mailto:tjdhondt@... http://prog.vub.ac.be/~tjdhondt
        Phone : +32-2-629 33 08 Fax : +32-2-629 35 25
      • Uwe Zdun
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 27, 2001
          A colleague pointed me to this dictionary of programming languages:

          http://cgibin.erols.com/ziring/cgi-bin/cep/cep.pl?_key=Lucid

          the link there seems to be broken, but there is another reference to:
          Ashcroft and Wadge, 1976-77.

          Trying "Ashcroft and Wadge Lucid" in Google spits numerous references, such
          as:
          http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/context/231115/0

          in seems to me, at least some of the dialects have papers online ...

          Hope this helps,

          Uwe

          On Tuesday 27 November 2001 16:11, you wrote:
          > In the spirit of the ongoing discussion on "great stuff no one knows about"
          > I tried to reconstruct some material on the dataflow language Lucid (or
          > pLucid in 1 of its variants) and although I tried I couldn't find any
          > stuff in any of the obvious places. Ideas anyone?

          > Theo D'Hondt
          > Programming Technology Lab : Computer Science Department
          > Faculty of Sciences : Brussels Free University
          > Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / BELGIUM EUROPE
          > mailto:tjdhondt@... http://prog.vub.ac.be/~tjdhondt
          > Phone : +32-2-629 33 08 Fax : +32-2-629 35 25

          Uwe Zdun
          Institute for Computer Science, University of Essen
          Phone: +49 201 81 00 332, Fax: +49 201 81 00 398
          zdun@{xotcl,computer,acm}.org, uwe.zdun@...