Re: [feyerabend-project] Is Feyerabend still on?

  • Erann Gat
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 20, 2001
      OK, glad to hear it. Flying doesn't scare me, but getting through the
      line at the luggage check does. :-)

      E.

      On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Ron Goldman wrote:

      > At 7:18 PM -0700 9/20/01, Erann Gat wrote:
      > >Is the OOPSLA Feyerabend workshop still on?
      >
      > Yes indeed. Dick & I will be there.
      > In fact I just booked my flights today.
      >
      > -- Ron --

    • Erann Gat
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 30, 2001
        I'd like to know what Feyerabend folk think of:

        http://www.namesys.com/whitepaper.html

        This is Hans Reiser's (author of the reiserfs journaling file system for
        Linux) vision for the future of computing.

        Thanks,
        Erann Gat
        gat@...
      • Erann Gat
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 30, 2001
          At the Feyerabend workshop the idea came up of putting together a book
          about the great programs that no one knows about and that are therefore
          being reinvented slowly and badly. The canonical example at the workshop
          was the natural language parser that Richard described. My professional
          situation is now settling down to the point where I could have time to
          edit such a work (and perhaps write a chapter for it as well). I'd like
          to guage the intereste among the Feyerabend crowd in contributing a
          chapter to such a book. If you think you might be willing to contribute
          would you please respond to me with a few-sentence description of the
          program you'd like to write about. Please include the following
          information: What was the program called? Who wrote it? When and where
          was it written? And (briefly) what did it do?

          Some ground rules: the program should be at least N years old for some
          value of N. I'm going to set N initially equal to 10, but I'm open to
          arguments for other values. Also, the requirement that no one knows about
          it shouldn't be taken too literally. It's OK if the existence of the
          program is widely known. If there are technical details that are not
          widely known but are applicable to contemporary concerns that's enough.
          The main point is to have a book that presents old solutions to problems
          that people are currently beating their heads against the wall about. So,
          for example, a detailed description of the programming environment on the
          original Alto machines would probably be OK despite the fact that the
          existence of Smalltalk is widely known.

          Also please give me an indication of your enthusiasm and availability,
          e.g., "I would like to contribute, but I'm busy and this will have to be
          done in my spare time so don't count on me." or "This is the greatest idea
          since the nand gate and I will move Heaven and Earth to get a chapter
          written before the new year."

          Thanks,
          Erann Gat
          gat@...
        • Uwe Zdun
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 7, 2001
            Erann,

            I think this is a great idea! I have a quite intimate knowledge of the Tcl
            internal C API which is used by quite a few projects as a generic component
            glueing and platforms independence API for C and C++. It is not exactly an
            unknown program, but this use is relatively little known compared to its use
            as a scripting language. But it is, in my opinion, one of the greatest and
            most useful C APIs ever written. And it is developed since 1987 ... so its
            quite old as well.

            If you like this idea and proceed with the book, I could supply a chapter
            quite quickly, say in 1-2 months ... I know a few of the Tcl core developers,
            perhaps I could convince them to work on it as well.

            Regards,

            Uwe

            On Tuesday 30 October 2001 11:44 pm, you wrote:
            > At the Feyerabend workshop the idea came up of putting together a book
            > about the great programs that no one knows about and that are therefore
            > being reinvented slowly and badly. The canonical example at the workshop
            > was the natural language parser that Richard described. My professional
            > situation is now settling down to the point where I could have time to
            > edit such a work (and perhaps write a chapter for it as well). I'd like
            > to guage the intereste among the Feyerabend crowd in contributing a
            > chapter to such a book. If you think you might be willing to contribute
            > would you please respond to me with a few-sentence description of the
            > program you'd like to write about. Please include the following
            > information: What was the program called? Who wrote it? When and where
            > was it written? And (briefly) what did it do?
            >
            > Some ground rules: the program should be at least N years old for some
            > value of N. I'm going to set N initially equal to 10, but I'm open to
            > arguments for other values. Also, the requirement that no one knows about
            > it shouldn't be taken too literally. It's OK if the existence of the
            > program is widely known. If there are technical details that are not
            > widely known but are applicable to contemporary concerns that's enough.
            > The main point is to have a book that presents old solutions to problems
            > that people are currently beating their heads against the wall about. So,
            > for example, a detailed description of the programming environment on the
            > original Alto machines would probably be OK despite the fact that the
            > existence of Smalltalk is widely known.
            >
            > Also please give me an indication of your enthusiasm and availability,
            > e.g., "I would like to contribute, but I'm busy and this will have to be
            > done in my spare time so don't count on me." or "This is the greatest idea
            > since the nand gate and I will move Heaven and Earth to get a chapter
            > written before the new year."
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Erann Gat
            > gat@...

            Uwe Zdun
            Institute for Computer Science, University of Essen
            Phone: +49 201 81 00 332, Fax: +49 201 81 00 398
            zdun@{xotcl,computer,acm}.org, uwe.zdun@...
          • Uwe Zdun
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 7, 2001
              Hi,

              sorry for sending it to the whole list ... it was an accident.

              --uwe
            • Erann Gat
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 7, 2001
                We forgive you.

                BTW, Uwe is the first person to volunteer to write a chapter. So if
                you've been thinking that it would be nice to do but you're too busy and
                others will pick up the slack now is the time to change your mind. Unless
                a few more people step up to the plate it's not gong to happen.

                Erann
                gat@...
                gat@...

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 12, 2001
                  Erann Gat wrote:

                  > We forgive you.

                  I think we can discuss this publicly, because this enhances the
                  probability that others join.

                  > BTW, Uwe is the first person to volunteer to write a chapter. So if
                  > you've been thinking that it would be nice to do but you're too busy and
                  > others will pick up the slack now is the time to change your mind. Unless
                  > a few more people step up to the plate it's not gong to happen.

                  OK, I comit myself to a chapter about the Oberon system. I don't know
                  yet where to take the time from, but I think it's possible for me to do
                  this.

                  Deadline for the Second German Workshop on AOSD: December 1, 2001
                  http://i44w3.info.uni-karlsruhe.de/~pulvermu/workshops/aosd2002/

                  Pascal Costanza Email: costanza@...
                  University of Bonn Roemerstr. 164
                  Institute of Computer Science III D-53117 Bonn (Germany)

                  Fon: +49 (0)228 73-4505 Homepage:
                  Fax: +49 (0)228 73-4382 http://www.pascalcostanza.de
                • Brian Marick
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 19, 2001
                    At 11:03 AM 11/12/01, you wrote:
                    >Erann Gat wrote:
                    > >
                    > > We forgive you.
                    >
                    >I think we can discuss this publicly, because this enhances the
                    >probability that others join.
                    >
                    > > BTW, Uwe is the first person to volunteer to write a chapter. So if
                    > > you've been thinking that it would be nice to do but you're too busy and
                    > > others will pick up the slack now is the time to change your mind. Unless
                    > > a few more people step up to the plate it's not gong to happen.

                    A thought: a few people who were interested in writing on systems they
                    didn't know could make a dent in this project. I envision them reading some
                    papers, interviewing one or more of the people who know the system cold,
                    and writing it up. It could be an occasional series, entries posted on a
                    web site or perhaps in IEEE Software or the like, eventually collected into
                    a book.

                    So the model would be Organick's Multics book, but in miniature.

                    For example, I think Keykos (a capability security system) is interesting,
                    but it's poorly described. (At least, it used to be.) If I could learn more
                    and also write something up, I would. But not this year.

                    --
                    Brian Marick, marick@...
                    www.testing.com - Software testing services and resources