Re: [feyerabend-project] Position/Passion

  • Dave Thomas
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2001
      progress but I felt synergy with many of the concerns expressed by Dick.

      While I enjoy the "reflective meta towers of philosophy" <grin> as mental
      experiments my interest and modest abilities are in building software that
      works and is used. Ideally I like to see this done by small teams of domain
      knowledgeable end users.

      I'm interested to seeing others passions/positions for the future of
      computing.

      Regards,

      Dave

      Dave Thomas
      Bedarra Corporation
      Carleton University School of Computer Science

      -----------------------------
      Programming For The Rest Of Us - Young, Old and Application Oriented
      "Escape From Middleville - Programming For Intelligent End Users"

      According to industry pundits applications programmers will live in
      middleware world for most of the next decade. Three platforms will
      dominate the press and customer data and switching centers - Java and EJB, MS
      .NET and Linux/Apache. XML will glue all of these together using "Web
      Services".

      This is an exciting world for a bright CS graduate in their 20-30s but
      boring and tedious for those of us under 16 or over 40 and trained in a
      domain of problems such as business, engineering or the arts. As the
      objects and interfaces are relegated to services and the complexity of
      EJB exceeds that of CICS and Tuxedo those who have application needs are
      quickly being removed from the ranks of programming to more lofty titles
      called architects, project directors etc.

      We are told that the future lies in disciplined processes such as RUP,
      UML and MDA. This presents a second complex world which the younger CS
      types hate (hence XP) and which in itself presents yet more stuff which
      gets between us and the applications. Next generation IDEs which will
      streamline the development process are promised.

      My interest is about life outside this world of powerful component
      oriented middleware which is dominated by the CS "C" culture and it's
      complexity. I have been exploring how small teams of application aware
      developers achieve satisfaction and success outside of middleware. Scripting,
      4/5GLs, Visual Programming, Functional Programming are alive and well in this
      world as are most of the best practices advocated in XP.