position papers for OOPSLA workshop now online

  • Ron Goldman
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 5, 2001
      I have just uploaded the various position papers from people planning on
      attending the Feyerabend workshop next month at OOPSLA. They can be found
      at:

      All of the OOPSLA attendees should now be subscribed to this mailing list.
      Hopefully we can have some interesting preliminary discussions on this list
      before the workshop.

      -- Ron --
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 6, 2001
        Today is the last day for early (cheaper) registtration for OOPSLA.
        Just a reminder.

        -rpg-
      • Erann Gat
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 20, 2001
          Is the OOPSLA Feyerabend workshop still on?

          Erann
        • Ron Goldman
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 20, 2001
            At 7:18 PM -0700 9/20/01, Erann Gat wrote:
            >Is the OOPSLA Feyerabend workshop still on?

            Yes indeed. Dick & I will be there.
            In fact I just booked my flights today.

            -- Ron --
          • Erann Gat
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 20, 2001
              OK, glad to hear it. Flying doesn't scare me, but getting through the
              line at the luggage check does. :-)

              E.

              On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Ron Goldman wrote:

              > At 7:18 PM -0700 9/20/01, Erann Gat wrote:
              > >Is the OOPSLA Feyerabend workshop still on?
              >
              > Yes indeed. Dick & I will be there.
              > In fact I just booked my flights today.
              >
              > -- Ron --

            • Erann Gat
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 30, 2001
                I'd like to know what Feyerabend folk think of:

                http://www.namesys.com/whitepaper.html

                This is Hans Reiser's (author of the reiserfs journaling file system for
                Linux) vision for the future of computing.

                Thanks,
                Erann Gat
                gat@...
              • Erann Gat
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 30, 2001
                  At the Feyerabend workshop the idea came up of putting together a book
                  about the great programs that no one knows about and that are therefore
                  being reinvented slowly and badly. The canonical example at the workshop
                  was the natural language parser that Richard described. My professional
                  situation is now settling down to the point where I could have time to
                  edit such a work (and perhaps write a chapter for it as well). I'd like
                  to guage the intereste among the Feyerabend crowd in contributing a
                  chapter to such a book. If you think you might be willing to contribute
                  would you please respond to me with a few-sentence description of the
                  program you'd like to write about. Please include the following
                  information: What was the program called? Who wrote it? When and where
                  was it written? And (briefly) what did it do?

                  Some ground rules: the program should be at least N years old for some
                  value of N. I'm going to set N initially equal to 10, but I'm open to
                  arguments for other values. Also, the requirement that no one knows about
                  it shouldn't be taken too literally. It's OK if the existence of the
                  program is widely known. If there are technical details that are not
                  widely known but are applicable to contemporary concerns that's enough.
                  The main point is to have a book that presents old solutions to problems
                  that people are currently beating their heads against the wall about. So,
                  for example, a detailed description of the programming environment on the
                  original Alto machines would probably be OK despite the fact that the
                  existence of Smalltalk is widely known.

                  Also please give me an indication of your enthusiasm and availability,
                  e.g., "I would like to contribute, but I'm busy and this will have to be
                  done in my spare time so don't count on me." or "This is the greatest idea
                  since the nand gate and I will move Heaven and Earth to get a chapter
                  written before the new year."

                  Thanks,
                  Erann Gat
                  gat@...
                • Uwe Zdun
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 7, 2001
                    Erann,

                    I think this is a great idea! I have a quite intimate knowledge of the Tcl
                    internal C API which is used by quite a few projects as a generic component
                    glueing and platforms independence API for C and C++. It is not exactly an
                    unknown program, but this use is relatively little known compared to its use
                    as a scripting language. But it is, in my opinion, one of the greatest and
                    most useful C APIs ever written. And it is developed since 1987 ... so its
                    quite old as well.

                    If you like this idea and proceed with the book, I could supply a chapter
                    quite quickly, say in 1-2 months ... I know a few of the Tcl core developers,
                    perhaps I could convince them to work on it as well.

                    Regards,

                    Uwe

                    On Tuesday 30 October 2001 11:44 pm, you wrote:
                    > At the Feyerabend workshop the idea came up of putting together a book
                    > about the great programs that no one knows about and that are therefore
                    > being reinvented slowly and badly. The canonical example at the workshop
                    > was the natural language parser that Richard described. My professional
                    > situation is now settling down to the point where I could have time to
                    > edit such a work (and perhaps write a chapter for it as well). I'd like
                    > to guage the intereste among the Feyerabend crowd in contributing a
                    > chapter to such a book. If you think you might be willing to contribute
                    > would you please respond to me with a few-sentence description of the
                    > program you'd like to write about. Please include the following
                    > information: What was the program called? Who wrote it? When and where
                    > was it written? And (briefly) what did it do?
                    >
                    > Some ground rules: the program should be at least N years old for some
                    > value of N. I'm going to set N initially equal to 10, but I'm open to
                    > arguments for other values. Also, the requirement that no one knows about
                    > it shouldn't be taken too literally. It's OK if the existence of the
                    > program is widely known. If there are technical details that are not
                    > widely known but are applicable to contemporary concerns that's enough.
                    > The main point is to have a book that presents old solutions to problems
                    > that people are currently beating their heads against the wall about. So,
                    > for example, a detailed description of the programming environment on the
                    > original Alto machines would probably be OK despite the fact that the
                    > existence of Smalltalk is widely known.
                    >
                    > Also please give me an indication of your enthusiasm and availability,
                    > e.g., "I would like to contribute, but I'm busy and this will have to be
                    > done in my spare time so don't count on me." or "This is the greatest idea
                    > since the nand gate and I will move Heaven and Earth to get a chapter
                    > written before the new year."
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Erann Gat
                    > gat@...

                    Uwe Zdun
                    Institute for Computer Science, University of Essen
                    Phone: +49 201 81 00 332, Fax: +49 201 81 00 398
                    zdun@{xotcl,computer,acm}.org, uwe.zdun@...
                  • Uwe Zdun
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 7, 2001
                      Hi,

                      sorry for sending it to the whole list ... it was an accident.

                      --uwe
                    • Erann Gat
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 7, 2001
                        We forgive you.

                        BTW, Uwe is the first person to volunteer to write a chapter. So if
                        you've been thinking that it would be nice to do but you're too busy and
                        others will pick up the slack now is the time to change your mind. Unless
                        a few more people step up to the plate it's not gong to happen.

                        Erann
                        gat@...
                        gat@...

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 12, 2001
                          Erann Gat wrote:

                          > We forgive you.

                          I think we can discuss this publicly, because this enhances the
                          probability that others join.

                          > BTW, Uwe is the first person to volunteer to write a chapter. So if
                          > you've been thinking that it would be nice to do but you're too busy and
                          > others will pick up the slack now is the time to change your mind. Unless
                          > a few more people step up to the plate it's not gong to happen.

                          OK, I comit myself to a chapter about the Oberon system. I don't know
                          yet where to take the time from, but I think it's possible for me to do
                          this.

                          Deadline for the Second German Workshop on AOSD: December 1, 2001
                          http://i44w3.info.uni-karlsruhe.de/~pulvermu/workshops/aosd2002/

                          Pascal Costanza Email: costanza@...
                          University of Bonn Roemerstr. 164
                          Institute of Computer Science III D-53117 Bonn (Germany)

                          Fon: +49 (0)228 73-4505 Homepage:
                          Fax: +49 (0)228 73-4382 http://www.pascalcostanza.de
                        • Brian Marick
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 19, 2001
                            At 11:03 AM 11/12/01, you wrote:
                            >Erann Gat wrote:
                            > >
                            > > We forgive you.
                            >
                            >I think we can discuss this publicly, because this enhances the
                            >probability that others join.
                            >
                            > > BTW, Uwe is the first person to volunteer to write a chapter. So if
                            > > you've been thinking that it would be nice to do but you're too busy and
                            > > others will pick up the slack now is the time to change your mind. Unless
                            > > a few more people step up to the plate it's not gong to happen.

                            A thought: a few people who were interested in writing on systems they
                            didn't know could make a dent in this project. I envision them reading some
                            papers, interviewing one or more of the people who know the system cold,
                            and writing it up. It could be an occasional series, entries posted on a
                            web site or perhaps in IEEE Software or the like, eventually collected into
                            a book.

                            So the model would be Organick's Multics book, but in miniature.

                            For example, I think Keykos (a capability security system) is interesting,
                            but it's poorly described. (At least, it used to be.) If I could learn more
                            and also write something up, I would. But not this year.

                            --
                            Brian Marick, marick@...
                            www.testing.com - Software testing services and resources