Re: [feyerabend-project] XP: Utopian Sub-culture wannabe

  • Jerry Weinberg
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2001
      Dave
      >My anthropologist wife assures me that XP is NOT a culture. What is it,
      >then. I'd say it's a "sub-culture wannabe."
      >
      >Correct - it won't be a true culture (sub or otherwise) without some sort of
      >reflective self-identification as such.
      >
      >The real point of my assertion is that whatever future XP has it will be as a
      >culture (religion?), not as a method.

      I agree, 100%. But it could have a short future as somebody's cash cow,
      while it's still in the fad stage.

      >the enculturation process should be much simpler than you describe - but
      >still not simple, and still requiring something like the residential
      >community that you invoke.
      >
      >It would certainly start in a much simpler fashion - perhaps black golf
      >shirts with an XP logo. ;)

      Now there's a marketing idea worthy of Microsoft or Apple.

      >It's not clear that anyone is ready to step forward and create such a
      >community,
      >
      >Probably not, although Ken Auer is trying in a very small way - but his
      >efforts are subsumed in his Christian cultural identity and is not really the
      >same thing.
      >
      >The MFA in software described by Richard Gabriel also has many of the
      >elements - but notably absent the residential community.

      Yes, both of these are infected with other agendas. XP is to serve as a
      means to something else - it's a fatal taint.

      >though the two of us reside in San Miquel, which might be a start.
      >
      >Yep, maybe we should buy the monastery just outside of Pecos and start
      >collecting acolytes.

      Yes, it's right down the road, and solar powered. That should count for
      something.

      >I would never imagine that one of these subcultures can completely replace
      >the dominant culture and its major "management-driven" (actually,
      >management-dragged) subcultures. And that's okay. We might, like so many
      >other subcultures, be satisfied with a nice chunk in which people could live
      >and make better things to sell to the dominant culture, as so many utopian
      >sub-cultures have done.
      >
      >I agree. From my perspective something between the scale of the Amish and
      >Hutterite communities and the Mormons would be a pretty good goal.

      That's about right. But no celibacy, okay?

      Jerry
      ---------------
      ROUNDTABLE ON PROJECT MANAGEMENT: A SHAPE FORUM DIALOGUE
      now available from Dorset House!
      and
      AN INTRODUCTION TO GENERAL SYSTEMS THINKING
      is now available again, at less than half the former Wiley price.
      1-800-DH-BOOKS, or http://www.geraldmweinberg.com

      Seven AYE-ku

      1.
      Who are we? Why AYE?
      High-tech project change agents
      weave Un-Convention.

      2.
      Weary of speaking
      At routine conferences.
      Nothing changes there.

      3.
      What would be better?
      Contact with our audience.
      Creative mind meld.

      4.
      We will show our values:
      Permission to be human,
      Learning that is fun.

      5.
      Through simulation,
      participants test their grasp
      of effective choice.

      6.
      This is high-touch tech:
      Smart women and men launching
      new action patterns.

      7
      AYE will boldly go
      where no one has gone before
      Will you join our trek?

      INDIVIDUAL, INTERPERSONAL, and ORGANIZATIONAL EFFECTIVENESS
      The AYE Conference
      -+-+-
      November 4 - 7, Phoenix, AZ
      http://www.ayeconference.com
      Jerry
    • Joshua L. Kerievsky
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 3, 2001
        >Attached is the PDF version.

        I liked it Dave -- I don't have comments yet -- I need to read it again, but it
        has got me thinking.... (and wondering what all your statues look like).

        regards,
        jk