Re: [feyerabend-project] XP: Utopian Sub-culture wannabe

  • Dave West
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 26, 2001
      Jerry,

      Thanks for the comments.

      My anthropologist wife assures me that XP is NOT a culture.  What is it, then. I'd say it's a "sub-culture wannabe."

      Correct - it won't be a true culture (sub or otherwise) without some sort of reflective self-identification as such.

      The real point of my assertion is that whatever future XP has it will be as a culture (religion?), not as a method.

      the enculturation process should be much simpler than you describe - but still not simple, and still requiring something like the residential community that you invoke.

      It would certainly start in a much simpler fashion - perhaps black golf shirts with an XP logo.  ;)

      It's not clear that anyone is ready to step forward and create such a community,

      Probably not, although Ken Auer is trying in a very small way - but his efforts are subsumed in his Christian cultural identity and is not really the same thing.

      The MFA in software described by Richard Gabriel also has many of the elements - but notably absent the residential community.

      though the two of us reside in San Miquel, which might be a start.

      Yep, maybe we should buy the monastery just outside of Pecos and start collecting acolytes.

      I would never imagine that one of these subcultures can completely replace the dominant culture and its major "management-driven" (actually, management-dragged) subcultures. And that's okay. We might, like so many other subcultures, be satisfied with a nice chunk in which people could live and make better things to sell to the dominant culture, as so many utopian sub-cultures have done.

      I agree.  From my perspective something between the scale of the Amish and Hutterite communities and the Mormons would be a pretty good goal.

      Davew

    • Jerry Weinberg
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2001
        Dave
        >My anthropologist wife assures me that XP is NOT a culture. What is it,
        >then. I'd say it's a "sub-culture wannabe."
        >
        >Correct - it won't be a true culture (sub or otherwise) without some sort of
        >reflective self-identification as such.
        >
        >The real point of my assertion is that whatever future XP has it will be as a
        >culture (religion?), not as a method.

        I agree, 100%. But it could have a short future as somebody's cash cow,
        while it's still in the fad stage.

        >the enculturation process should be much simpler than you describe - but
        >still not simple, and still requiring something like the residential
        >community that you invoke.
        >
        >It would certainly start in a much simpler fashion - perhaps black golf
        >shirts with an XP logo. ;)

        Now there's a marketing idea worthy of Microsoft or Apple.

        >It's not clear that anyone is ready to step forward and create such a
        >community,
        >
        >Probably not, although Ken Auer is trying in a very small way - but his
        >efforts are subsumed in his Christian cultural identity and is not really the
        >same thing.
        >
        >The MFA in software described by Richard Gabriel also has many of the
        >elements - but notably absent the residential community.

        Yes, both of these are infected with other agendas. XP is to serve as a
        means to something else - it's a fatal taint.

        >though the two of us reside in San Miquel, which might be a start.
        >
        >Yep, maybe we should buy the monastery just outside of Pecos and start
        >collecting acolytes.

        Yes, it's right down the road, and solar powered. That should count for
        something.

        >I would never imagine that one of these subcultures can completely replace
        >the dominant culture and its major "management-driven" (actually,
        >management-dragged) subcultures. And that's okay. We might, like so many
        >other subcultures, be satisfied with a nice chunk in which people could live
        >and make better things to sell to the dominant culture, as so many utopian
        >sub-cultures have done.
        >
        >I agree. From my perspective something between the scale of the Amish and
        >Hutterite communities and the Mormons would be a pretty good goal.

        That's about right. But no celibacy, okay?

        Jerry
        ---------------
        ROUNDTABLE ON PROJECT MANAGEMENT: A SHAPE FORUM DIALOGUE
        now available from Dorset House!
        and
        AN INTRODUCTION TO GENERAL SYSTEMS THINKING
        is now available again, at less than half the former Wiley price.
        1-800-DH-BOOKS, or http://www.geraldmweinberg.com

        Seven AYE-ku

        1.
        Who are we? Why AYE?
        High-tech project change agents
        weave Un-Convention.

        2.
        Weary of speaking
        At routine conferences.
        Nothing changes there.

        3.
        What would be better?
        Contact with our audience.
        Creative mind meld.

        4.
        We will show our values:
        Permission to be human,
        Learning that is fun.

        5.
        Through simulation,
        participants test their grasp
        of effective choice.

        6.
        This is high-touch tech:
        Smart women and men launching
        new action patterns.

        7
        AYE will boldly go
        where no one has gone before
        Will you join our trek?

        INDIVIDUAL, INTERPERSONAL, and ORGANIZATIONAL EFFECTIVENESS
        The AYE Conference
        -+-+-
        November 4 - 7, Phoenix, AZ
        http://www.ayeconference.com
        Jerry
      • Joshua L. Kerievsky
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3, 2001
          >Attached is the PDF version.

          I liked it Dave -- I don't have comments yet -- I need to read it again, but it
          has got me thinking.... (and wondering what all your statues look like).

          regards,
          jk