XP and Feyerabend

  • fadrian@qwest.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
      --- In feyerabend-project@y..., Brian Marick <marick@t...> wrote:
      > In a world where developers, users, and funders (customers) are
      distinct
      > groups, I believe agile methods are, on average, ...
      > - definitely better for developers
      > - quite likely better for funders
      > - not necessarily better or worse for users
      > ... than conventional/torpid/other methods.

      Aye - probably true. However...

      The Buddhists have a saying: "If you meet the Buddha along the road,
      kill him." It is their way of noting that an attachment to Buddha
      and his path (although useful at first) is still an attachment and
      that it will still prevent one from achieving enlightenment.

      XP "turns the knobs to 10", but they're still the same knobs.

      Progress will be made when we remove the producer/consumer
      dichotomy. Deconstruct it yourself, Brian, and envision the world
      without this barrier. Forget the knobs and smash the amp. If you
      meet XP along the road, kill it.

      faa
    • Joshua L. Kerievsky
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 13, 2001
        rpg wrote:
        >>> ... there is an air of exclusivity in the whole site...
        >>> ... I didn't see an invitation of any sort ...

        The agile alliance site reminded me of another shadowy cabal called Hillside, a
        group so exclusive they didn't even list who they were. Not my cup 'o tea.
        Hopefully they will invite others in and truly erase the exclusive nature of
        the site, which would mean not even listing who were those really important
        "dudes" that attended the first critical agile meeting (which so nauseatingly
        resembles the story of the proud few who were on a Hillside one golden
        afternoon). --jk
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 13, 2001
          At 0:36 -0700 6/13/01, Joshua L. Kerievsky wrote:

          >The agile alliance site reminded me of another shadowy cabal called
          >Hillside, a
          >group so exclusive they didn't even list who they were. Not my cup 'o tea.
          >Hopefully they will invite others in and truly erase the exclusive nature of
          >the site, which would mean not even listing who were those really important
          >"dudes" that attended the first critical agile meeting (which so nauseatingly
          >resembles the story of the proud few who were on a Hillside one golden
          >afternoon). --jk

          This is certainly a problem, assuming you think Hillside is still
          relevant. I didn't attend that golden afternoon event, and have been
          pushing for more openness. Keep in mind that Hillside was originally
          just Kent Beck's friends, and the group operated by consensus, and to
          become open meant everyone agreeing, and one of the members did not
          want to do that, hence the legacy.

          Three people were added to Hillside in the last 9 months, and perhaps
          we're debating how and whether to exist - but the energy level is so
          low it's hard to tell.

          Hillside did just hire a web guy to make a real site, so maybe that
          aspect will change soon, if it matters.

          Hillside is really now just a benevolent bank account that funds PLoPs.