238Re: [feyerabend-project] An introduction to Lisp

  • Dirk Riehle
    Aug 21, 2002
      Hi all,

      I'm a fan of all the List/CLOS papers I've read, but never became a friend of Lisp as an everyday tool. (That is, I never used it outside school.)

      If you were the CTO of a startup, and you would have to convince your CEO to start development efforts using CLOS rather than Java, how would you argue its case?

      This is a serious question. When discussing this, I've always ended up choosing Java. Please convince me otherwise.

      Dirk

      PS: This is meant primarily as a social/managerial question, not a technology question.

      At 8/21/2002 +0200, Pascal Costanza wrote:
      Hi everybody,

      In February we had a short discussion on Lisp on the pattern discussion
      mailing list, especially the entry barriers of Lisp because of allegedly
      strange syntax, and so on.

      During the past few months I have digged deeply into Common Lisp and
      Scheme, and in order to give something back to the community (and get
      some ideas out of my head) I have written an introduction to Lisp. It
      can be found at http://www.pascalcostanza.de/lisp/guide.html. I hope you
      find it useful.

      All the best,

      Pascal Costanza                    Email: costanza@...
      University of Bonn                 Römerstr. 164
      Institute of Computer Science III  D-53117 Bonn (Germany)

      Fon: +49 (0)228 73-4505            Homepage:
      Fax: +49 (0)228 73-4382            http://www.pascalcostanza.de