226Re: L3: Lifestreams, Linda on the Web, and LISP

  • patrickdlogan
    Apr 2, 2002
      --- In feyerabend-project@y..., "Mike Beedle" <beedlem@e...> wrote:

      > * Time-oriented metaphor.

      I've been playing around in this "dimension", so to speak. What if
      every many-many association was a time-series? You have access too all
      changes over time. Every entity is "versioned" by time, and the
      many-many associations are essentially sets of references to each
      entities' version in place at the time the association is made.

      I don't know much about Lifestreams, except as a presentation
      mechanism. Maybe a Lifestream is or could be represented as a
      time-series association of data?

      > 2. Linda on the Web.

      I've been playing with this too, using IBM's TSpaces. Although I am
      interested in trying Rogue Wave's XML Spaces as well, since it has
      more support for XML-based data.

      http://www.roguewave.com/developer/tac/ruple/

      I agree this mechanism has not received its due (yet). Another simple,
      powerful tool that follows the principle that the dynamic is better
      than the static. Static is a special case of dynamic, and not vice
      versa.

      I am interested to learn how Lifestreams and Tuple Spaces are related?
      I know they came from the same lab, and that Tuple Spaces can
      coordinate actions and information over time. But what else?

      > 3. LISP. Why LISP?

      Of course. 8^)

      I've been using JScheme because it is simple and sits on top of
      today's assembler language, Java.

      And because, well, it is Lisp. It has adapted well to 40 years of
      software technology so why ask why?

      -Patrick Logan
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic