Re: FMC 5min

  • per_fredlund
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
      Hi :-)

      I had a brief look at google docs. I was not too impressed withe the
      userfriendliness. I still did not find out how to make a named
      folder or start sharing. Oh well, im sure it does work somehow :-P

      Lars, if you need it ... my google (gmail) account =
      per.kristen.fredlund

      I agree with doing only the 10 mins format for now. I could probably
      do 1 hr every week, but 10 mins only is more safe ;-) I can do 1
      insertion within 5 minutes most of the time :D

      -Per

      > --- In fewestmoveschallenge@yahoogroups.com, "mirek_goljan"
      <goljan@...> wrote:

      > Hi gu(y)s,
      > I agree with all good ideas you came up with the last week. I
      am
      > willing to get a Google account and fill in a shared excel
      > spreadsheet that Lars wants to prepare. Ten consecutive FMC solved
      > in 10 minutes should not be a problem to anybody while spending 1-
      > hour every week could be a bit more difficult for some. I suggest
      > that one can skip one week of two and catch up later. We trust
      each
      > other anyway and we agree not to work on (or look at others
      > solutions) any FMC until the 1-hour attempt is finished and
      recorded.
      > So, 10 weeks, two longest and two shortest out of 10 solutions
      will
      > not be counted (for each contestant) in the final average of 6.
      For
      > Per, 12 would take 3 months, so we agree on 10, OK. We count in
      HTM,
      > i.e. B2 is one move, R'L are two moves. We can see later if other
      > metric would have helped somebody. For example, counting R F R' as
      > one move (HaHa :-), just kidding).
      > BTW, my last challenge in 10 minutes was not lucky again.
      > L2 B' R2 L F D2 F' L2 F'_ L U L B' U' B L' F2 U2 F' U' F U' F2 D'
      B'
      > U' B' R B R' U B L U' R U2 L' U L U2 L' R' (42 moves, in 7min
      12sec).
      > 1-hour: R' D' R' D. L2 U _ L2 F2 R' D F L' B D2 B' L' F B' U2 B2
      F'
      > L D L' D2 B', insert D' B D F' D' B' D F at the dot (32).
      > Happy and lucky cubing!
      > Mirek
      >

      > --- In fewestmoveschallenge@yahoogroups.com, Lars Petrus <lars@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Unless people are opposed to getting Google accounts, we could
      > just
      > > put the numbers in a shared online spreadsheet.
      > >
      > > http://docs.google.com/
      > >
      > > On Dec 30, 2007, at 10:53, per_fredlund wrote:
      > >
      > > > Hi Gu(u)s!!
      > > >
      > > > I'm a bit uncertain if you mean 10 weeks with best and worst
      > deleted
      > > > or 12 weeks with 10 counting entries ?? Best and worst wrt
      > submitted
      > > > lengths or wrt placement for that week?? Honestly i wish Ryan
      > Heise
      > > > would host those challenges. Just having results/entries
      > floating in
      > > > this group is very messy!! :D
      > > >
      > > > - Per

      > down
      > 10

      U'
      > D L
      > > > U2

      > R' D'
      > (23)

      > cancelled ,

      > too
      > > > moves
      > well.
      > this
      > > > 3-
      > > > F'
      > > > agree.
      > include

      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Gilles Roux
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
        Hi,

        10 minutes, or 5 minutes without writing down the solution, is a nice
        format.
        That's what I've been doing for years. Averages of 12-2 or 7-2.
        But I like to do them all in a row.
        A good result for me would be 42 HTM or 36 STM. I even did a series of
        100 solves (2 days): 37.9 STM.
        Who would be patient enough to wait for 12 weeks for such a stat?

        Gilles.

      • per_fredlund
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
          Hi :-)

          I used to achieve avgs of 41/52 for normal solving and supersolving
          about 20 years ago. All done semi-linearly. Only simple undoing
          moves. Never restart. I propose this semi-linear format and 10 mins
          INCLUDING writing it down and verifying it. I also recommend the fmc
          companion to save time ;-) If anyone wants to ban it i'm still game,
          but excessive time is spent non-productively :D

          My 20 cents!!

          -Per

        • mirek_goljan
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 4, 2008
            Hi,

            FMC companion can help you to verify your solution later and count
            moves. Is that what you mean, Per? Of course, why not. If you mean we
            can record our solution by typing it in FMC companion and still have
            10 minutes I am not against it. Although you will have time for an
            insertion of a 3-cycle or so, you cannot do it since this short time
            format does not allow taking moves back. You are suggesting to allow
            counting F F2 as F'(1 move), R R as R2 (1 move), B B' (0 moves). I am
            not sure about this. Let's see what others thing, I am for either
            (forbid or allow). 10 weeks is a long time, so I understand Gilles
            that he likes to do 10 attempts in a row. So far, we agreed on using
            FMC #182 - #191 scrambles. Gilles, I can do 10 times 10-minutes in a
            row if we throw in 10 random scrambles here, too. Then, anybody can
            solve them and comment his/her results. We don't need a deadline for
            such a free unofficial contest. I would not expect anybody of us doing
            it often. I know, some of us are pretty busy, me included; Lars are
            you with us? Both, the 10-week and 10 in a row (once the scrambles are
            posted) can go in parallel. We'll see what interesting will come out
            of this. And yeah, lets do 1-hour solutions each week. If somebody
            wants to join but has to skip a week, do it later next week and just
            catch up.
            Any more suggestions? We're pretty much set.
            So lube your cubes!
            Mirek

            --- In fewestmoveschallenge@yahoogroups.com, "per_fredlund"
            <per_fredlund@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > > Pseudo F2L: D' R' D2 R B' D' B R' D2 R D' F D F' (22)
            > > > LL edges: F' D' R' D R F (27)
            > > > LL Corners: F L F' R F L' F' R' (34)
            > > > undo pseudoness: D F2 U2 (37)
            > > >
            > > > 1hour solution: B2 F R' {U' D} R F' U B2 U' F U B2 U B' D R2 D
            > R' D'
            > > > R' B R2 B' D' R' D R' D' R F2 U2 (32)
            > > > explanation:
            > > > pseudo 2x2x3: B2 F R' {U' D} R U2 . B' (8)
            > > > pseudo F2L + LL edges: D R2 D R' D' R' B R2 B' D' R' D R' D' R
            > (23)
            > > > undo pseudoness: F2 U2 (25)
            > > > at dot (after move 7) insert: F' U B2 U' F U B2 U'
            > > >
            > > > Shall we start a 10 week competition starting from FMC 182?
            > > > The rules I propose are: Best & worst two attemps doare
            > cancelled ,
            > > > for the other 6 attemps the avarage is calculated. FMC-10min and
            > > > FMC-1hour counted are seperately? Any suggestions on this?

          • Ryan Heise
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 4, 2008
              per wrote:

              > I'm a bit uncertain if you mean 10 weeks with best and worst deleted
              > or 12 weeks with 10 counting entries ?? Best and worst wrt submitted
              > lengths or wrt placement for that week?? Honestly i wish Ryan Heise
              > would host those challenges. Just having results/entries floating in
              > this group is very messy!! :D

              I had such a competition running once (fewestmoves5), but it is shut
              down now and replaced by linearfmc which requires the solution to be
              recorded. I personally think it is interesting to submit the
              solutions. I know it is more work, but it is interesting to see other
              people's strategies for linear solving.

              But it isn't necessarily me that has to host it if you want to use my
              system, anyone can create their own competition on my server using my
              administration interface which allows you to design your own competitions.

              http://www.ryanheise.com/competitions/

              P.S. A number of people noticed that the "forgot password" feature
              gives an error when you try to set a new password - BUT, then it logs
              you in anyway. It gives me the idea that I can do away with passwords
              and have authentication by email which I think is much nicer.

              --
              Ryan Heise http://www.ryanheise.com/cube/chat.html
            • per_fredlund
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 5, 2008
                Ah, i had forgotten the not taking back moves restriction. Actually
                i'm AGAINST that restriction for the 10 minutes format. It does allow
                for a few possible starts. If we really stick to linear solutions
                then most of the usefulness of the companion is lost anyway. I will
                only use it for verification and counting :D

                I don't think the best lubed cube will win it :-P

              • per_fredlund
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 5, 2008
                  HI :-)

                  get away with passwords how?? Everytime you submit you just give your
                  email address, then get a reply you have to reply to?? I have
                  designed online systems that require email confirmation. I can
                  honestly say it has been a pain. So mny users have email with very
                  tough restrictions. The emails sent out are never received...
                  Personally i'm starting to be in favor of not relying on email
                  sending from server. Oh well, that's another discussion ;-)

                  -Per

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 5, 2008
                    per wrote:

                    > HI :-)
                    >
                    > get away with passwords how?? Everytime you submit you just give
                    > your email address, then get a reply you have to reply to??

                    Not quite, the scheme I have in mind is a bit more subtle than that.
                    To login (or in words that are perhaps more enlightening, to
                    "authenticate" yourself) you just type in your email address (no
                    password). You will then be sent an email containing a secret URL.
                    Click on it, and you're logged in. The next, and most essential part
                    of the recipe is that a persistent cookie is then set which allows you
                    to remain logged in for months on end without having to
                    re-authenticate, much in the same way that you may remain logged into
                    youtube.com without having to re-authenticate. This makes the actual
                    authentication step a negligible since it only happens once, ever
                    (practically), but the advantage is that if you ever do logout, then
                    you don't need to remember that pesky password to log in again.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 5, 2008
                      Hi :-)

                      My wording was a bit unclear. One does not really reply to the
                      automatic email being sent, one responds to a link sent. Still there
                      may be problems with the user not getting the email. I know this from
                      bitter experience :-( Also, is there not a security concern that such
                      a cookie is set without the users consent? I suggest making it
                      voluntary to set such a cookie. Getting away with passwords is s good
                      thing, it's only a matter of how to best do it ;-)

                      Have fun!!