Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

toxicity of raisins - dose related? What about raisin juice?

Expand Messages
  • Meryl Faulkner
    I wondered if the toxicity depends on dose? Working out on the basis of a 56 pound dog versus a 2 pound ferret in the Snopes case: Assuming that the half a
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2008
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      I wondered if the toxicity depends on dose? Working out on the basis
      of a 56 pound dog versus a 2 pound ferret in the Snopes case:
      Assuming that the half a container the dog ate was one half of a pound
      of a one pound container of raisins, and that hence the dog ate 1/112
      of its body wt in raisins, a ferret would have to eat about 9g of
      raisins to get the same outcome.

      My ferrets weigh about a kilo (2.2pounds) so 1/112 of 1K
      (1000grams)would be roughly 9 grams of golden raisins (sorry I only
      have a metric balance so have to convert). I weighed my golden raisins
      (don't laugh but I did get worried - a couple of the ferrets get an
      occasional golden raisin).I found there are about 25 golden raisins
      (Sunmaid brand in a cardboard packet - and rather dessicated) to 9g.
      The packet is always kept in a cupboard inaccessible to ferrets.
      However, I wondered if there are other treats, given in a large
      quantity (in this case 20 X the usual amount)that might be just as
      toxic if the dose is increased. What about raisin juice in the treats?

      Has anyone on the list had a ferret that has had kidney problems after
      consuming large amounts of any kinds of treats? A veterinarian I know
      said one time she had 2 ferrets and she was horrified that they broke
      into a packet of chocolate m and m's and ate the lot. She said they
      had diarrhea but no other side effects.Chocolate is supposed to be a
      no-no for many animals. Do different species have different
      tolerances? Wouldn't the ancestral mustelid occasionally eat grapes or
      dried fruit if available and it was hungry?

      [Moderator's Note: if memory serves -- check me against
      the veterinarians' article in Ferrets magazine -- of the ferrets
      discussed who suffered acute renal failure after raisins the
      number of raisins at least on ate was no higher than 9 raisins,
      which is not an unusual amount for stashers to put away. I
      doubt that nuances are known, though hopefully I am wrong on
      that score.

      Nor is it known if some individuals may have a
      vulnerability contributing, and so far all the hypothesized
      causes I have read have not panned out on testing (yet).

      Yes, species can vary in what is toxic and in tolerances.

      The problem does not seem to generalize to other fruits.

      Sorry about replying this way; our network is unstable today
      so it may be my only chance. --SDC]
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.