Re: [ferrethealth] Ferret with cardiomyopathy

  • Nanny
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2007
      I can't give you advice about his treatment, but I do think that the vet is
      overdoing it a bit with the Fortekor. My 5 kg cat gets half a Fortekor 5 or
      a whole Fortekor 2.5 every day, so your ferret, maybe 1 kg, gets half of
      what a cat 5 times (or more) heavier gets. If it is considered a safe dose,
      I'd give a quarter Fortekor 5 every day.

      Nanny

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2007
        It sounds like you are doing a very good job to reduce physical and emotional stress.
        When the heart disease is advanced that becomes especially important.

        Here are some recent vet posts on the topic for others who are dealing with
        cardiomyopathy in ferrets which will give you more information so I did two searches in
        the archives to help you:

        http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL2306

        http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL2292

        http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL2317

        http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YPG1467

        http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YPG1341

        http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YPG1093

        Re:
        > I can't give you advice about his treatment, but I do think that the vet is
        > overdoing it a bit with the Fortekor. My 5 kg cat gets half a Fortekor 5 or
        > a whole Fortekor 2.5 every day, so your ferret, maybe 1 kg, gets half of
        > what a cat 5 times (or more) heavier gets. If it is considered a safe dose,
        > I'd give a quarter Fortekor 5 every day.

        Nanny, the dose needed can't be based on what
        works for cats. There are a number of meds
        where ferrets differ greatly on cats in relation to
        what dose size works best.

        Doses of meds are based on what works IN A
        GIVEN SPECIES, the degree of illness, the body
        weight and how that related (when it does) to the
        dosing range in that specific species, etc.

        That said, I do NOT know what the right dosing is
        for a ferret, so it certainly could make perfect sense
        for that to be asked about, but changing the dose
        on one's own could be asking for real trouble.

        Unless there are vets who think that the dosing
        should be changed it is best to leave the dose at
        what the treating vets said to use and call the
        treating vet to ask questions before changing any
        medication amount.

        Sorry, I am a little touchy on this topic right now; I
        just found out recently that some of the worsening
        a relative in his final illness has had was due to he
        and his elderly spouse (both 93) deciding on their own
        to stop an essential med. He is now back on a working
        dose and his quality of life is improving once again.
        Sadly, people causing damage to their pets or themselves
        by not following medication directions, combining meds
        that should not be combined, using meds they should
        not use, giving medical professionals incomplete
        information, or using expired meds are far too common
        avoidable occurrences.

        Meds should not be changed without the treating
        medical professional okaying it, and that person should
        also know of all supplements, herbals, etc. that are
        being considered beforehand. There is just too much
        that can go wrong, and way too much that we amateurs
        don't know.

        Sukie (not a vet)

        Recommended ferret health links:
        http://ferrethealth.org/archive/