Suprelorin F implants from Virbac

  • Soren Tabnitz
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2017

      >> I feel like with the implants I've given over the past 12-18 months I just have not seen much of a response. Fur regrowth minimal to none, sexually linked behaviors unchanged, one female received implant in December and had to be euthanized for non-regenerative anemia in April.
      >>
      >> While I have heard of some ferrets not responding to the implant, I find it difficult to believe that 100% of my adrenal ferrets would fall into this category. (5-10 implants during the time frame). I know others in my area also have concerns.
      >>
      >> I'm wondering if others on this list have encountered this?
      >>
      >> Has Virbac "tweaked" the formulation in some way, perhaps altering the delivery material in such a way that the drug itself is less bioavailable? Has manufacturing been farmed out to a third party who is perhaps adulterating the product, or has improper storage/shipping affected the product?
      >>
      >> My vet initially was skeptical of my concerns but now she's heard the same from some other clients. PLEASE let's not spread internet rumors. I would like to hear examples of fact not impression. For example hair loss unchanged, vulva still enlarged, prostate/urinary tract still having issues...
      >>
      >> You may reply directly to me off list if you prefer. Please include ferret's age, gender, and your geographic location.
      >>
      >> Thanks,
      >> Skyla

    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2017
        HI Skyla:

        My experiences have taught me that sometimes slowing down the advancement of the adrenal disease is the only actual 'effect' we see, depending on how rapidly the disease is advancing, or if one or more of the adrenal tumors are malignant. I've had a lot of adrenal disease with my ferrets over the years, and I've always had good results from the deslorelin implants, right up to my two 7 year olds who now have them, and have had them for a couple of years. At the first signs of adrenal disease symptoms, I start using the deslorelin, and I also use melatonin implants in conjunction with it, implanting at different times.  I feel that the advancement of their adrenal disease has been slowed considerably, including thinning hair slowly growing back and anemia improving.

        The time between implants can also be a factor in their effectiveness. As the disease advances, I don't wait any longer than 6 months between implants. I've learned that if you wait for visual symptoms to 'recur', you've probably waited too long, giving the tumors a chance to start their accelerated growth again.

        I hope you get to the bottom of your problems, and as you suggest, I really hope no one uses poor judgment and causes an internet scare, as has happened once or twice in the past.

        Take care,

        Jeff

        On Thursday, May 4, 2017 1:21 PM, "Soren Tabnitz sorentabnitz@... [ferrethealth]" <ferrethealth@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        >> I feel like with the implants I've given over the past 12-18 months I just have not seen much of a response. Fur regrowth minimal to none, sexually linked behaviors unchanged, one female received implant in December and had to be euthanized for non-regenerative anemia in April.
        >>
        >> While I have heard of some ferrets not responding to the implant, I find it difficult to believe that 100% of my adrenal ferrets would fall into this category. (5-10 implants during the time frame). I know others in my area also have concerns.
        >>
        >> I'm wondering if others on this list have encountered this?
        >>
        >> Has Virbac "tweaked" the formulation in some way, perhaps altering the delivery material in such a way that the drug itself is less bioavailable? Has manufacturing been farmed out to a third party who is perhaps adulterating the product, or has improper storage/shipping affected the product?
        >>
        >> My vet initially was skeptical of my concerns but now she's heard the same from some other clients. PLEASE let's not spread internet rumors. I would like to hear examples of fact not impression. For example hair loss unchanged, vulva still enlarged, prostate/urinary tract still having issues...
        >>
        >> You may reply directly to me off list if you prefer. Please include ferret's age, gender, and your geographic location.
        >>
        >> Thanks,
        >> Skyla

      • jrbear13
        Message 3 of 6 , May 17, 2017
          I have a question about expiration dates on the implants. Also, is everyone asking the vets for those dates and their meaning?

          I ordered a two pack of implants in February and had used one last month. Monday I took my other little guy who had the urinary blockage in for the other implant.

          I asked the vet for the expiration date on the box and she said it was May 22, 2017 so now I wonder if my ferrets had old implants.

          These were ordered through a vet supply distributor since Virbac is now handling orders for Des implants that way.

          The last implants I ordered came directly from Virbac and had a very long date on them. My vet called them at that time and Virbac said the expiration date on the box was the expiration date of the Des.

          Someone else told me their vet was told the implants were good for one year after the date on the box.

          I realize the package date meaning could have been changed. But, I also wonder if since Virbac is using suppliers now if the implants are being kept on hand until they are ordered which means they could be sending out old stock and that they may be mishandled storage wise.

          I've emailed Virbac but have not received a response. Does anyone know how to contact the manufacturer to confirm the expiration dates?

          Sharon

        • The Phillips Family
          Message 4 of 6 , May 18, 2017
            I asked my vet and he said the implants are good for a year from the expiration date on the box, but he wants to replace the implant every six months. He seemed annoyed that I questioned him and didn't explain.

            Cheers,

            Vaughn
          • Jeff
            Message 5 of 6 , May 18, 2017
              I've personally had very good success with my ferrets when replacing their Deslorelin implants approximately every  6 months. With early-stage adrenal disease I go a bit longer, maybe 8 months, but with more advanced adrenal disease I go every 6 months, and sometimes even more frequently with late-stage adrenal disease. Using this timetable, I've had good success in really slowing down the advancement of the adrenal disease in most of my ferrets, as measured by the rate at which symptoms worsen. I've also found that it helps in better prevention of enlarged prostates, and the need for another medicine to control that symptom. Again, just my personal experience over the last 7 or 8 years.

              Jeff

              On Thursday, May 18, 2017 5:12 PM, "The Phillips Family phillips.ev@... [ferrethealth]" <ferrethealth@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              I asked my vet and he said the implants are good for a year from the expiration date on the box, but he wants to replace the implant every six months. He seemed annoyed that I questioned him and didn't explain.

              Cheers,

              Vaughn

            • Sukie Crandall
              Message 6 of 6 , May 18, 2017
                We have so far had excellent success using these implants prophylactically, given every Spring starting once adult size is reached early in life.

                Sent from my iPad