Re: Tubulopapillary cystadenocarcinoma-Mammarian carcinoma

  • Bruce Williams, DVM
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2007
      --- In ferrethealth@yahoogroups.com, "patty" <pferret@...> wrote:

      > does anyone have any info on this. Rare in ferrets.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Patty

      All mammary tumors are rare in ferrets, at least our ferrets. They
      are actually more comon in black-footed ferrets. Unlike cats,
      mammary tumors in ferrets don't tend to metastasize widely. If the
      borders of the tumor are clear, it is unlikely to show up in other
      areas. Now if it is not of mammary origin, but a sweat gland (and
      they can look the same) the chance of metastasis is a little
      higher.

      Key here is whether excision was complete or not.

      With kindest regards,

      Bruce Williams, dVM