Make sure you get the right deslorelin implant

  • kfarlee
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2009
      My vet is working directly with Dr. Nico Shoemaker in the Netherlands.
      He's the primary researcher who's been studying deslorelin for several years and
      documenting its effects on ferrets.
      I was talking to my vet today about the implants, and she had just gotten off
      the phone with the manufacturer, who said there IS NO MORE until December 7th.
      That's when their next batch is going to be done.
      They were TOTALLY unprepared for the volume of requests coming from ferret
      people.

      In the conversation, we discussed the buzz on the internet, and she made a
      comment that needs to be heard: According to the company that manufactures the
      implants, they have not manufactured, much less exported to the US, enough of the
      Suprelorin 4.7mg implants to account for all of the stories going around.

      There is another form of Deslorelin implant which is designed for horses, and is
      a 2.1mg dose. It goes by the brand name Ovuplant.
      Dr. Shoemaker, explored this implant and found that since it is a different compounding, and a
      different dosage, not only is it not effective for ferrets, but it seems to have
      a detrimental effect. Unfortunately, it is also widely available in the US,
      making it easy for a vet to obtain it and give it as a "Deslorelin implant",
      which it technically is. Just not the one that will help ferrets.

      My concern is two-fold:
      1) I'm concerned that vets will knowingly or through not understanding the
      difference, give the wrong implant to ferrets, and have them not improve.
      2) I'm really afraid that in about a year or two, based on #1 above, you'll see
      a wave of "That Deslorelin crap is just expensive nonsense. It doesn't work"
      sweep the ferret community, and cause a medicine which could greatly improve the
      lives of ferrets to be ignored.

      If you're getting deslorelin implants for your ferrets, ask your vet what the
      brand name is. Ovuplant is the horse one which does not work well for ferrets.
      It's a 2.1mg dose.
      Suprelorin is the one which does work for ferrets. It's a 4.7mg dose.

      Kevin Farlee
    • ytonytcla
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2009
        --- In ferrethealth@yahoogroups.com, "kfarlee" <kevin@...> wrote:

        > I was talking to my vet today about the implants, and she had just > gotten off the phone with the manufacturer, who said there IS NO
        > MORE until December 7th.

        > There is another form of Deslorelin implant which is designed for
        > horses, and is a 2.1mg dose. It goes by the brand name Ovuplant.
        > Dr. Shoemaker, explored this implant and found that since it is a
        > different compounding, and a different dosage, not only is it not
        > effective for ferrets, but it seems to have a detrimental effect.
        > Unfortunately, it is also widely available in the US, making it
        > easy for a vet to obtain it and give it as a "Deslorelin implant",
        > which it technically is. Just not the one that will help ferrets.

        For those in the US....

        The correct implant (suprelorin 4.7mg. implant for dogs) is also
        manufactured in Europe and is available through agents in Europe. This is the implant that both of my ferrets received
        The agents in Europe are based in Spain but have offices in most countries.

        The address on the implant documentation I have is:-

        Virbac SA 1ere avenue 2065 m L.I.D.
        06516
        Carros
        France

        Maybe enquiries there may get you the correct implant. It is not out of stock to my knowledge.

        Tony (not a vet), Sugar and Suki.