Re: [ferrethealth] Re: 71/2 month old male ferret sick for 5 weeks....

  • Wendy Brandon
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hi

      I got the other blood results from the vet today. I
      apologize in advance for the misspellings in the names
      the were given to me on the phone.

      white blood cells 5,060 (on 1/15/07) 4,675 (on
      1/29/07)
      PCV 25% (1/15/07) 15% (1/19/07)
      Red Blood Cells 4.2 x 10 to the sixth (1/15/07) 2.5 x
      10 to the sixth (1/29/07)
      hemoglobin 8.3 g/dl (1/15/07) 5 g/dl (1/29/07)
      Total protein 4.8 g/dl (1/15/07) 4 g/dl (1/29/07)

      differnecials
      nutracells 50% (1/15/07) 58% (1/29/07)
      lipocytes 46% (1/15/07) 30% (1/29/07)
      monoytes 2% (1/15/07) 4% (1/29/07)
      eycoshils 2% (1/15/07) none seen 1/29/07
      basocills none on 1/15/07 2% on 1/19/07

      on 1/15 the red blood cells were thin on the slide
      on 1/29 the red blood cells were also thin and there
      where changes in them.

      We have been since this past tuesday giving Cho a
      puree chicken with ferretvite and ferretone. Up til
      yesterday afternoon Cho was experiencing frequent
      diarrhea. Last night I didn't not see Cho have a BM
      but he did urinate. Today he ate his special blend,
      drank water, we gave him fluids and the epogen I saw
      him urinate 3x and 2 of those there was a small about
      of poo that was a brown color.

      thank you again,
      Wendy
    • wendyhairlady
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
        Oh! We only treated Cho for 14 days with Albon for the coccidia, could it be that Cho never
        got rid of them and they are making him this sick? We are bringing him back to the first vet
        that treated him this afternoon, I hope that if we treat him again for it he'll get better??

        --- In ferrethealth@yahoogroups.com, AFERRETVET@... wrote:

        > Hi Wendy
        > Do you have the CBC part of the bloodwork?
        > Cho may have the new FIP-like disease.
        > This is very similar to the "dry form" of FIP
        > in cats. You might want to double check with
        > your vets about FIP.
        > Jerry Murray, DVM

      • Susan Liszewski DVM
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
          This ferret is really anemic. he is prob losing blood from the
          diarrhea or else somewhere else. He is dropping quite rapidly and
          something needs to be done before he drops any further. You might
          need to have him transfused. Sometimes when the anemia gets so bad
          it also causes diarrhea because the vessels to the gut are not the
          ones being maintained the most so they actually can start to die
          off. I have had animals that were transfused and the counts getting
          back to normal and all else resolved. Not to say that is what is
          happening here but it could. Hope you are able to find anwers that
          can help you but it is still possible to be one of the disease that
          really have no effective treatment. best of luck

          Dr. Sue

          --- In ferrethealth@yahoogroups.com, Wendy Brandon
          <wendyhairlady@...> wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > I got the other blood results from the vet today. I
          > apologize in advance for the misspellings in the names
          > the were given to me on the phone.
          >
          > white blood cells 5,060 (on 1/15/07) 4,675 (on
          > 1/29/07)
          > PCV 25% (1/15/07) 15% (1/19/07)
          > Red Blood Cells 4.2 x 10 to the sixth (1/15/07) 2.5 x
          > 10 to the sixth (1/29/07)
          > hemoglobin 8.3 g/dl (1/15/07) 5 g/dl (1/29/07)
          > Total protein 4.8 g/dl (1/15/07) 4 g/dl (1/29/07)
          >
          > differnecials
          > nutracells 50% (1/15/07) 58% (1/29/07)
          > lipocytes 46% (1/15/07) 30% (1/29/07)
          > monoytes 2% (1/15/07) 4% (1/29/07)
          > eycoshils 2% (1/15/07) none seen 1/29/07
          > basocills none on 1/15/07 2% on 1/19/07
          >
          > on 1/15 the red blood cells were thin on the slide
          > on 1/29 the red blood cells were also thin and there
          > where changes in them.
          >
          > We have been since this past tuesday giving Cho a
          > puree chicken with ferretvite and ferretone. Up til
          > yesterday afternoon Cho was experiencing frequent
          > diarrhea. Last night I didn't not see Cho have a BM
          > but he did urinate. Today he ate his special blend,
          > drank water, we gave him fluids and the epogen I saw
          > him urinate 3x and 2 of those there was a small about
          > of poo that was a brown color.
          >
          > thank you again,
          > Wendy

        • Wendy Brandon
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
            Hi Dr Sue

            Thank you.

            I brought Cho in to the first Vet that treated him for
            the coccidia. (he went out of town otherwise we would
            have continued seeing him all along).

            We put him on predinsone. The vet thinks its lymph
            cancer or possibly one of the new horrible virus's.
            Cho doesn't have a bloody stool (i have been looking
            for that). I was wondering if this could possibly be
            because the coccidia never went away? we put him back
            on albon to treat for that just in case. the vet
            didn't offer a transfusion as an option. by chance do
            you know of a vet in SE Michigan that would be able to
            do that? Neither of the vets that have seen cho
            mentioned it as an option.

            Thank you,
            Wendy

            [Moderator's Note: the vet probably did not know that ferrets don't have blood groups to complicate that option.]