Re: Please help

  • mymorgy
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2003
      I would be so stressed too...and you don't sound stupid at
      all...Oliver doesn't sound old by today's standards...if he were
      sixteen I think you would have an easier time...
      if it were me, I would play it five minutes at a time...I would ask
      for instructions about 100 times and then maybe another 100 times
      and ask what can go wrong and then ask again to see if they left out
      anything. I would ask for an emergency number. I would ask if it
      hurt Oliver..the feeding tube and if there were anything to make him
      more comfortable. I would be a wreck until they came up with some
      kind of diagnosis and some kind of prognosis....but I would give it
      a try and see what Oliver's reactions were to tell me what to do
      next.
      I am so sorry you and Oliver have to go through this. I am certain
      your heart and not your head will tell you what is the right thing
      for you and Oliver
      Fondly and sending prayers
      Bobby

      --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, "montana2108"
      <bluejeanladyx@a...> wrote:
      > My boy Oliver is in the hospital and gets a two hour endoscopy
      > tomorrow. He is 13 and developed a bad gag during the last two
      > weeks. The doctors are telling me he either has something lodged
      in
      > his esphogas or there is a new strain of feline herpes going
      around
      > that causes gagging. He will one way or the other have to be put
      on
      > feeding tubes. I know my boy, he hates anything down his throat
      or
      > in his mouth. He's 13. I want to do what is best for him, I
      myself
      > have been so stressed from this in the last two weeks I began
      taking
      > sedatives. I know I sound stupid. I don't know what to do. Is
      > quality of life sending Oliver home with a feeding tube if he
      makes
      > it thru this surgery. I'm so worn out and confused with my
      decision
      > making. I don't believe that humans should be allowed to make
      life
      > and death decisions on our pets. on the other hand, it is what we
      do
      > it seems. I don't know what to do. He is my best friend, my
      > special soulmate, and I love him more than anything. I work
      during
      > the day. I'm not sure I can even handle a feeding tube, let a
      lone
      > him handle it. I wish he could talk and tell me what he wants.
      > Please help me. What can i do? Tomorrow is the day he gets
      > his surgery to make sure his mouth, stomach and esphogas are
      clear,
      > it's 2 hours. He will come out with a feeding tube. I'm not sure
      > he or I can handle it. I'm so stressed and I know he is. Please
      > help. The feeding tube stays in for a few months I'm told. To me
      > this isn't quality of life. Please tell me what you think as cat
      > lovers. I need your help.
    • gblane
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2003
        Wow, he's not that old. I never like "Either-Or" things, because
        there's always something else - remember that! Guessing it's a new
        strain of Herpes is just a wild stab when the answer is they really
        don't know.

        I'd try a second opinion, if there's nothing definitive from your
        vet. I like my vet, but there are limitations, and I would never
        trust her with a final decision about my kitty - I have a vet about
        an hour away who considers all kinds of things, including alternative
        treatments that other vets don't use, and she' sharp! I also know
        some other vets locally that I'd like to try. I like the concept of
        using a cat vet, but haven't done that yet.

        You might also do a telephone consult with another vet, without
        stressing Oliver out. But do what you think is right, regardless.

        Whatever you do, Oliver lives in your love and will always be blessed
        to have that.

        Gloria

      • femspirit@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2003
          So Sorry you are going through that, I do have a question though, What do you
          mean exactly when you say he is gagging?
          And Im not real clear on why they want to put a stomach tube in, I could see
          if he were vommitting, The other thought that crossed my mind is what about
          hairballs? I know mine gag off and on because of this. Did you try hairball
          medicine?
          Blessings,
          Rebecca

        • Eln Lou
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2003
            Good luck with Oliver!

            My advice to you is to listen to the wonderfully smart folks in this
            group. They are wise, and very generous with their knowledge. Plus
            you will not get any better support anywhere!!!

            Eln, Smokey & Roxey
          • nancycatania@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 10, 2011
              Hi everyone,
              I just saw this disturbing post on another board I am on. Can someone please offer this poor woman some help and advice? I know it is off topic for the herpes group, but if anyone can offer advice, it would be great for her. Thanks, Nancy

              Here is her post:

              Hi all
              I am hoping someone may be able to give me some advice, i took a 7 month old female to the vets on Friday to be spayed, she seemed to be ok when i picked her up a bit tired and wobbly as to be expected after a anaesetic by sunday she was still really wobbly on her legs and really quite lethargic, its just like she is still under the influence of the anaestic, i had been giving her fluids and food which she was eating as normal. First thing this morning i took her straight to my vets where she has been all day on a drip she has had every test, scan, xrays but everything is totally normal, the vet is stumped as to what might be wrong as she is hardly moving and seems to be paralized from the head down only the odd nerve twitch, he thinks it is more likely that this is due to the anaesetic, i have been at the vets for the last 2 hours with her and giving her food, by the time i left she seemed a bit happier and responsive, she is with the vets all night, i am hoping she will come home tommorrow but the way she is at the moment it is a long shot.
              I am hoping maybe someone can give some advice as to what it might be causing this problem.
              Sorry to ramble but i am so so worried about her.

              wendy

            • nancycatania@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 10, 2011
                Sorry guys, here is her email from my last post:

                hwendy82@...

                Thanks, Nancy

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 10, 2011
                  Dear Wendy,

                  I've had a related experience, although not as severe as what you're
                  describing.

                  We had a 3 or 4 month old female kitten in for spaying and vaccinations;
                  that evening when I brought her home, she was very wobbly - continuing for
                  many hours to act like she was still coming out of the anesthesia. She
                  could barely walk, couldn't keep her balance, etc. The spay/neuter clinic
                  said there hadn't been anything out of the ordinary about her spay.

                  I didn't know whether to suspect the vaccs or the anesthesia, but based on
                  how it looked like a kitty awakening from surgery - just quite prolonged, I
                  think it was a bad reaction to the anesthesia. Thankfully, we saw a slow,
                  gradual improvement over the next few days - it was as if it took days
                  instead of hours for her body to work thru the anesthetic. Because we saw
                  continued slow improvement, she didn't require vet treatment and within a
                  few days, she was up and about and doing pretty well. She didn't quite
                  recover 100% (more like 90 - 95%) but has occasional slight balance issues -
                  but that was the only thing that lingered on.

                  Don't know if this helps; it seems like this kind of a bad reaction is quite
                  rare - but perhaps certain kitties' systems just can't handle the chemicals.
                  You must be quite devastated; I certainly hope she recovers - obviously, she
                  shouldn't be allowed anesthesia ever again!

                  Evelyn Black, 513/703-7474

                  Hoarding Case Cat/Kitten Rescue - <http://www.70cats.org/> www.70Cats.org

                  CART (Disaster Response for Animals) Co-founder and Vice-President
                  <blocked::http://www.tristatecart.com/> www.TriStateCART.com

                  Comey & Shepherd Realtors, Cincinnati area -
                  <blocked::http://www.evelynblack.com/> www.EvelynBlack.com

                  _____

                  Sorry guys, here is her email from my last post:

                  hwendy82@... <mailto:hwendy82%40yahoo.co.uk>

                  Thanks, Nancy

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 9, 2013
                    Hello group, I have been syringe feeding my cat Mischief for about a month now and until a couple days ago it wasn't a problem. He used to sit calmly and the feeding would go fine and he was putting on weight. He's always been a sneezer but latley his sneezing sounds more congested, and sometimes moist formed yellow to redfish "boogies" come out if his nose when he sneezes. He's been having some bloody nose issues also and has a couple ulcers on his tongue. ( I think maybe more further down that I can't see). I had tried the slippery elm bark mixed with some baby good as was suggested to me but didnt really seem to work much and he hated it. I put powedered Lysine 500mg twice a day in his food when I feed him. My big concern now is that in the past couple of days when I would sit down with him to syringe feed him, he starts meow/screaming, climbs up my shoulder and hooks his claws in. When I try to feed him he tries to paw my hand away, shakes his head back and forth so not all the food goes in and I'm covered in it. We have a vet appointment with a new vet (my old one was a bleep) on Thursday but that's so far away. He sometimes shows/acts like he's hungry, he will come in the kitchen and meow and rub an walk back and forth between my legs but no matter what I put down he won't eat it. I've tried cheap foods, expensive foods, smelly foots, raw meat, cooked meet, baby food). Outside of these issues, he's still a very pleasant, very affectionate and loving cat. Please does anyone have any suggestion or advice?
                    Shana and Mischief
                  • nancy.catania
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 9, 2013
                      Shana,

                      Are you giving Mischief claritin for the sneezing issues? They usually like the slippery elm, can you make a paste of it and manually feed it to him? Everyone knows about me and my popsicle stick, lol It's great for feeding them when they won't eat on their own. I take the 1/8 tsp slippery elm and mix it in a glass raw with a little canned food or baby food and it helps the ulcers if mine get them.

                      Nancy

[...]

                    • Diane Brookins
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 9, 2013
                        Maybe the ulcers on his mouth are hurting when food hits them. So, anything with salt in it would bother them, which I think most foods have. raw meat doesn't, but maybe he's just leary. He should most likely be put on antibiotics. Azithromicyn is the one that most of us recommend. Along with Famiclivor. Hopefully he;ll be okay until you can get the meds started on Thursday�.

                        On Jun 9, 2013, at 12:25 PM, tearsofheaven2005 wrote:

                        > Hello group, I have been syringe feeding my cat Mischief for about a month now and until a couple days ago it wasn't a problem. He used to sit calmly and the feeding would go fine and he was putting on weight. He's always been a sneezer but latley his sneezing sounds more congested, and sometimes moist formed yellow to redfish "boogies" come out if his nose when he sneezes. He's been having some bloody nose issues also and has a couple ulcers on his tongue. ( I think maybe more further down that I can't see). I had tried the slippery elm bark mixed with some baby good as was suggested to me but didnt really seem to work much and he hated it. I put powedered Lysine 500mg twice a day in his food when I feed him. My big concern now is that in the past couple of days when I would sit down with him to syringe feed him, he starts meow/screaming, climbs up my shoulder and hooks his claws in. When I try to feed him he tries to paw my hand away, shakes his head back and forth so not all the food goes in and I'm covered in it. We have a vet appointment with a new vet (my old one was a bleep) on Thursday but that's so far away. He sometimes shows/acts like he's hungry, he will come in the kitchen and meow and rub an walk back and forth between my legs but no matter what I put down he won't eat it. I've tried cheap foods, expensive foods, smelly foots, raw meat, cooked meet, baby food). Outside of these issues, he's still a very pleasant, very affectionate and loving cat. Please does anyone have any suggestion or advice?
                        > Shana and Mischief

                      • tearsofheaven2005
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 9, 2013
                          I didn't start the Clariton cause I'm a little scared to try/start meds without talking to a vet. When I did the SEB, I would mix 1/8tsp with a small amount of baby food into a paste and put it in his mouth, it drove him batty. He also gets phenobarb twice a day for seizures and having to wait an hour in between that and SEB, and my work schedule I was only able to get 3doses in him a day.
                          Before when he didnt feel good I could always count on him to at least eat baby food but not now.
                          --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, nancycatania@... wrote:

                          > Shana,
                          >
                          > Are you giving Mischief claritin for the sneezing issues? They usually like the slippery elm, can you make a paste of it and manually feed it to him? Everyone knows about me and my popsicle stick, lol It's great for feeding them when they won't eat on their own. I take the 1/8 tsp slippery elm and mix it in a glass raw with a little canned food or baby food and it helps the ulcers if mine get them.
                          >
                          > Nancy

                        • tearsofheaven2005
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 9, 2013
                            I truly hope so, it took a while to get an appointment with this vet, she is supposed to be real good
                            --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, Diane Brookins <brookins.diane@...> wrote:

                            > Maybe the ulcers on his mouth are hurting when food hits them. So, anything with salt in it would bother them, which I think most foods have. raw meat doesn't, but maybe he's just leary. He should most likely be put on antibiotics. Azithromicyn is the one that most of us recommend. Along with Famiclivor. Hopefully he;ll be okay until you can get the meds started on Thursday….
                            >

                            > On Jun 9, 2013, at 12:25 PM, tearsofheaven2005 wrote:
                            >
                            > > Hello group, I have been syringe feeding my cat Mischief for about a month now and until a couple days ago it wasn't a problem. He used to sit calmly and the feeding would go fine and he was putting on weight. He's always been a sneezer but latley his sneezing sounds more congested, and sometimes moist formed yellow to redfish "boogies" come out if his nose when he sneezes. He's been having some bloody nose issues also and has a couple ulcers on his tongue. ( I think maybe more further down that I can't see). I had tried the slippery elm bark mixed with some baby good as was suggested to me but didnt really seem to work much and he hated it. I put powedered Lysine 500mg twice a day in his food when I feed him. My big concern now is that in the past couple of days when I would sit down with him to syringe feed him, he starts meow/screaming, climbs up my shoulder and hooks his claws in. When I try to feed him he tries to paw my hand away, shakes his head back and forth so not all the food goes in and I'm covered in it. We have a vet appointment with a new vet (my old one was a bleep) on Thursday but that's so far away. He sometimes shows/acts like he's hungry, he will come in the kitchen and meow and rub an walk back and forth between my legs but no matter what I put down he won't eat it. I've tried cheap foods, expensive foods, smelly foots, raw meat, cooked meet, baby food). Outside of these issues, he's still a very pleasant, very affectionate and loving cat. Please does anyone have any suggestion or advice?
                            > > Shana and Mischief

                          • nancy.catania
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 9, 2013
                              Then definitely ask the vet, Shana.