Re: [felineherpes]feline herpes saw new vet today :(

  • ansa82
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2003
      JeLayne, I am glad to hear that your baby responded to the three
      remedies!! Its reassuring to know that I am not the only one having
      a hard time deciding on treatments!! There are many options out
      there and yes they can cost you a fortune! Good luck
      annette

      --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, "Jelayne Hoffman"
      <jhoffman@g...> wrote:

      >I had to go out of town and my friend came to take care of them. He
      had
      > to take Beau to the vet on Friday and they removed 30cc's of fluid
      from
      > his chest and again on Monday morning where they removed another
      5cc's
      > of fluid. I thought he'd be a dead kitty by now but he's so much
      more
      > himself, cleaning himself, kissing me, playing (a little), dry
      eyes, dry
      > nose, incredible. At this juncture, I don't know which route to go
      and
      > what of the three remedies are really working for him since I've
      given
      > them all to him in the past week, it could be one, two or all three.
    • ansa82
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2003
        Darla, thanks again for all the reassurance!! I will check out your
        site. I am more than open to switching foods...I just need to find a
        good one!! I value your advice! Thanks so much for giving me some
        info to check into!! I am already noticing a difference since using
        the lysine. Boomer has got some drainage in the corners of his one
        eye but at least it has not gotten further so far. He doesnt have
        that horrible flaming red conjunctivitis right now which is amazing
        since he got majorly stressed out going to the vet. thanks again!!
        annette

        --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, "Kitsnk9s" <darla@k...> wrote:
        > Oh, Annette, I'm sorry to hear that it didn't go well. :( That is
        SO
        > frustrating.
        >
        > Ok. First. Do NOT feel guilty that you are not going to feed raw.
        > Neither do I. Please go to my web site and click on "The Holistic
        > Approach" on the home index page. You will see my thoughts on
        > homeopathy, but if you continue scrolling down, you will see a
        section
        > on Diet and a link to another section called "Cat Diet". These are
        my
        > current thoughts on feeding
      • ansa82
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2003
          Hi Beth, see I am learning so much from this group!! I am very
          inexperienced in this stuff and I didnt even KNOW that canned food is
          BETTER!!! You guys are great! I will learn how to help my cats,
          with all this help!! THanks so much for all the food names also. I
          am wondering if any of them have websites. I have never heard of any
          of them so I assume they are not readily available at my local
          petfood store? So, where are you guys finding this food??
          thanks Annette

          --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, leopard522@a... wrote:
          I feed Sunshine (my herpes
          > kitty) and Ember (my IBD kitty) high-quality canned food. They eat
          Lick Your
          > Chops and Petguard. Other good brands are Azmira, California
          Natural,
          > Felidae, Innova, Sensible Choice, Wellness (although Ember is
          allergic to
          > that one) and Wysong. Canned food is much better for cats than dry
          food.
          > Beth
        • Kitsnk9s
          Message 4 of 13 , May 1, 2003
            You're welcome and that's wonderful news about Boomer! YAY! :-)

            Darla and The 20 Fur-Kids at www.kitsnk9s.com <http://www.kitsnk9s.com/>

          • leopard522@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , May 1, 2003
              In a message dated 5/1/2003 9:57:05 AM Eastern Standard Time, ansa82 writes:

              > I didnt even KNOW that canned food is
              > BETTER!!!

              Cats are carnivores and are meant to eat meat. Dry food has too many grains in it. Also, cats are meant to get moisture with their food and do not have a strong thirst drive, so cats that eat only or mostly dry food are chronically dehydrated.

              > THanks so much for all the food names also. I
              > am wondering if any of them have websites.

              Azmira http://www.azmira.com
              California Natural, Innova http://www.naturapet.com
              Felidae http://www.canidae.com
              Lick Your Chops http://www.integratedpet.com
              Petguard http://www.petguard.com
              Sensible Choice http://www.sensiblechoice.com
              Wellness http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com
              Wysong http://www.wysong.net

              You can order many of these foods at:

              http://www.petfooddirect.com

              Lick Your Chops and Petguard are available at Whole Foods. You can check the Whole Foods Web site to see if there is a store near you:

              http://www.wholefoods.com

              Other health food stores may also carry Lick Your Chops and Petguard. The Petco near me has a few of these foods. Some pet food stores may carry a few of these brands, but many don't.

              Beth
            • TroubleSniffer@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , May 2, 2003
                Hello ansa82@...,

                In reference to your comment:

                è Boomer has got some drainage in the corners of his one
                è eye but at least it has not gotten further so far. He doesnt
                è have that horrible flaming red conjunctivitis right now
                è which is amazing since he got majorly stressed out going
                è to the vet.

                WAY TO GO Boomer:) That is great news:)

                Jo and Trouble

              • Kitsnk9s
                Message 7 of 13 , May 2, 2003
                  Thanks for the great post, Beth! I had most of those food links but was
                  missing a few. :-)

                  Darla and The 20 Fur-Kids at www.kitsnk9s.com <http://www.kitsnk9s.com/>

                  Cats are carnivores and are meant to eat meat. Dry food has too
                  many grains in it. Also, cats are meant to get moisture with their food
                  and do not have a strong thirst drive, so cats that eat only or mostly
                  dry food are chronically dehydrated.

                  > THanks so much for all the food names also. I
                  > am wondering if any of them have websites.

                  Azmira http://www.azmira.com
                  California Natural, Innova http://www.naturapet.com
                  Felidae http://www.canidae.com
                  Lick Your Chops http://www.integratedpet.com
                  Petguard http://www.petguard.com
                  Sensible Choice http://www.sensiblechoice.com
                  Wellness http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com
                  Wysong http://www.wysong.net

                • Ken or Elyn Macek
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 16, 2003
                    Merton--our 7 month, 9-1/2 # Maine Coon boy has conjunctivitis
                    associated with his herpes. He's on Viroptic (almost done with this
                    batch, thank goodness) and Teramycin for a 2'dary infection. Both he
                    and Becket, his littermate (12#) receive 500mg Lysine, split in 2
                    doses. Becket had some URI which has disappeared. He has not been
                    diagnosed as having herpes but since the boys have never been
                    separated we are fairly confident he carries the virus.

                    Since we didn't want Boris, our 12 year old elder, to receive the
                    Lysine and since everyone free feeds we can't sprinkle it on their
                    food. I've been crushing the capsule and then mixing each does with
                    about 1.5 tablespoons of water and syringe feeding it to the kittens.

                    Here are the questions:

                    1. I'm assuming that liquifying it won't hurt it--any thoughts?

                    2. Is it addictive? Becket sees me go to the mortar/pestle and starts
                    circling my feet, as soon as he sees the syringe he jumps in my lap
                    and assumes the position (on his back where I cradle him), grabs for
                    the syringe and laps it up gazing at me the whole time. I've assumed
                    that it has to do with him being separated from momcat too soon (he
                    is also a paw sucker) and being syringe fed when I brought him home.
                    Merton also knows the routine pretty well but he has always been
                    rowdier and competitive and we think that he wants it because Becket
                    is getting it!

                    And to toss this into the gassy kitty/food mix thread. Our boys
                    certainly have their gassy moments (and they had them before the
                    Lysine too). It got a little better when they switched foods--Merton
                    had some pudding poops that where probably due to a food allergy and
                    so they are now on IVD Venison and Green Pea.

                    Elyn
                    Ken or Elyn Macek ******* <macek@... > ******* Atlanta, GA USA