Re: [felineherpes]feline herpes re reading our emotions

  • patricebarnes2001
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2002
      I agree about letting them alone....on Mr Mustofa's off days....he
      goes to sleep in the bedroom and I keep the door shut enough so the
      dogs can't play with him and I tell my daughter to leave him alone.
      But most days he is on my desk napping or wanting to be petted....he
      also likes to sit on the grand piano when my daughter is playing her
      music but the instant she starts her scales he jumps down!! Its so
      funny...hes such a snob!!
      Patrice

      --- In felineherpes@y..., "Chris Huff" <madamefang@e...> wrote:
      > I agree about not faking it. They know when we're worried, but I
      don't think it helps to pick at the animal just to make ourselves
      feel better. Do the treatment, and make it as pleasant as you can,
      but then let the animal rest. There's nothing wrong with patting them
      and comforting them but they need time to heal and I think it's just
      selfish to demand that the animal put up with a lot of unwanted
      attention just to convince ourselves we're doing everything we can.
      Have you ever been sick and had a friend or relative "take care" of
      you to the point that the last thing you'd like to do before you die
      is throttle them? "If that woman comes in here one more time to ask
      if I want some chicken soup...." when you have the stomach flu.

      > There's nothing like a kitty or doggie coming up to you and
      saying "I feel so much better after my nap-can I sit here with you?"
      when they've been so ill. I let the animal call the shots.

      > Fiona

      Morgy
      > had lost his fight with bone cancer, and that little trooper
      faked me
      > out and finally died of heart collapse..at almost fourteen..he
      had a
      > heart condition..
      > Along the same vein, I think they also feel our tremendous love
      for
      > them and that helps huge time..also petting them if they like
      that or
      > holding them and physically nurturing them in whatever way they
      like
      > helps them big time recover.
      > Also as they get older, their flareups seem to get milder. The
      > stronger their immune system gets, it just seems the milder the
      > flareups..at least in my experience with my two cats.
      > Bobby

      > http://eattheapple.com/kitty/ our kitty cats
      > http://www.thensome.com/pethealth.htm
      > http://www.thensome.com/herpes.htm
      > http://www.thensome.com/felinehealthlinks.htm

      Service.

    • mymorgy
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2002
        I have to admit when Snowy was around six months old with terrible
        herpes flareup and was spending a lot of time in dark kitchen, I did
        spend a great deal of time lying on floor with him and I did pet him
        and he didn't withdraw..He was on antibiotics and under vet's
        supervision..but it looked as if he were going to withdrawal into
        death...I wanted to give him some of my body warmth to make his body
        work less hard to keep him warm..I think I did the right thing..
        Later I read and don't know if I can find it that there was a study
        that sometimes sleep isn't good for the virus in respiratory issues as
        it settles deeper..I wish there were an easy way for me to find it..
        I will hunt for a few minutes to see if I can find in an
        abstract..that is probably where I spotted it..
        curious what other people think about when it is important to leave
        them alone..Most of the time I leave them alone when they aren't
        feeling well and let them mend..I also wonder if it depends on the
        nature of the cat. As I said when Snowy was deathly sick after his
        prolapse, Morgy my schnauzer lay on a pillow above Snowy almost 24
        hours a day for almost a month as a protector..or at least most of the
        time when he wasn't going for his walks or playing with his littermate
        Hammy or eating..He didn't sniff him or anything or touch him. I was
        the one who placed snowball on the bed.
        Bobby

        --- In felineherpes@y..., "patricebarnes2001" <patricebarnes2001@y...>