acyclovir and FHV

  • Doug Richter
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2002
      I recall someone being prescribed Acyclovir for a suspected FHV cat a week or so ago. At the time I questioned that because I had not heard of Acyclovir being used as an antiviral for feline herpes. I've heard of it being used for human herpes and shingles. I was just looking back through some articles and spotted this from Michael Zigler's article on feline herpetic keratitis.

      "Although Acyclovir was most effective against Human herpes simplex virus, it was not effective against Feline Herpesvirus. This may be due to the inability of FHV-1 to induce deoxycytidine kinase."

      Doug