Re: [felineherpes]feline herpes Cat pooping and peeing everywhere soft

  • caraleekanab
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 26, 2013
      Hopentexas,
      Welcome back!  Long time no chat!
      Caralee

      Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:35 PM
      Subject: Re: [felineherpes]feline herpes Cat pooping and peeing everywhere soft

      Hi, I haven't been on here in awhile...I miss all you gals!...Anyways, I wanted to reply with some suggestions you've probably heard before, but here goes...Casper my herpes babe didn't poop, but did start peeing on anything black, which included my black body pillow and then on the bed/black comforter...I use black litter box liners so maybe that had something to do with his choice of colors...So, I brought his urine in to vet to check for urinary tract infection and sure enough he had one, was prescribed meds and got better...Sometimes if you have visited your vet often/recently u can call and they will allow u to bypass bringing the cat in& let u just bring in urine, they can be reminded that the vet visits stress herpes kittys which in turn causes flare-ups...I read somewhere that if they have a UTI they will associate the pain with the litter box and therefore avoid it, doing their numbers anywhere else...And lastly about 6 months back Casper started peeing out of box again, also he seemed to be licking around his tinkle hole, not excessively but was just something he hardly ever does, so I thought he was coming down with another UTI so I brought him into vet, but it wasn't a UTI, turns out he had impacted anal glands...they had to be drained and omg I swear he was like a new cat after that...I'm not even kidding he was soo happy and hasn't tinkled outta the box since... knock knock on wood... lol...I think I wrote in to the site to ask the gals here about their experiences or suggestions regarding impacted anal glands, but it was the only time I didn't get much feedback which is totally rare on this site.  But like i said then I use to rescue cats and myself have had lots of cats...dealt with leukemia, diabetes, cancer, almost everyhting at one time or another, but never ever had i heard of cats needing to have their anal glands drained, dogs yes, but not cats...so it was all new to me...I've read up on it and they say that the impacted glands can cause soo many symptoms in cats it seems unbelievable...For the last week Casper has been having itchy skin allergies, its not fleas because he's indoors and on Advantage, so I have no idea whats causing it, but i just read that anal gland problems can cause itchy skin in dogs&cats...yuppers I do believe its time for him to go in and get them drained again...hope thats the cause... I've changed his food to a high fiber one to help... by the way if it turns out to be a UTI then watch out for seafood flavored catfood or seafood treats, my cats luv the temptations treats but OMG for some reason they will get UTIs from them...
      Alrighty, just thought I'd share those tidbits...
      good luck

    • susan_mikey
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 28, 2013
        What worked for us was to find out if the cat has a UTI or crystals in the urine first.  Then, when he did not, we switched to a PetSmart cat litter that has a cat attractant in it and he has never missed the litter box since.  I love that stuff.

        Susan/Mikey/RJ/Kobe/Toney

        In a message dated 9/26/2013 10:06:59 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, katfly90@... writes:

        So I got a cat in Jan who has Feline Herpes, she was fine and used her litter box perfectly and everything was good.

        She got sick in March, her FH was acting up and she had an upper respiratory infection and she started pooping on the floor, we went to the vet and got antibiotics and everything was back to normal. Except the pooping on the floor part.

        I keep changing her litter to see if she likes it. But she always pees in it, never poops in it any more, just in front of it. But also pees on anything soft in the house like the carpet, bed, pillows, couch, a shirt if I leave it on the floor etc. And an hour ago she pooped on the bed!! While my boyfriend and I were sitting there!

        Don't tell me she needs to see a vet because I am aware of that, she is no stranger, but if I can help it I would rather not take her there. I am about to move really far away with her, and she has been to the vet a few times lately for check ups, so my mon ey is drained. If anyone has any idea why she could be doing this please help!

        Everything else with her seems to be normal though, she is playful, cuddly, and eats all her food! I just don't know what to do!

        OHH** We get it 500mg of lyscine a day but when she has a flare up we can't double it because she gets diarrhea   all over the house. And the lyscine just seems to keep her eyes from being swollen, they have always been running red goo.

        Please help!!

      • nancy.catania
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 28, 2013
          I've also found that spraying Zero Odor in the boxes attracts them to the boxes and keeps them smelling good too.
          Nancy

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 29, 2013
            Thanks, Nancy - where do you get Zero Odor?  Walmart or a pet store?

            SUSAN/Mikey/RJ/Kobe/Toney

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 30, 2013
                Thanks!

                Susan/Mikey/Toney//Kobe