Re: [felineherpes]feline herpes What lysine does your cat like

  • susan_mikey
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 25, 2013
      I have tried everything - he can't smell, so if you put a treat down, he
      won't even sniff it. He has never eaten a treat in his life. I felt bad
      that he didn't how how good they are when all the cats are sitting around him
      getting treats and he just sits there and looks at them like "What are they
      doing?" So I put one in his mouth once and that's when I realized how bad
      his medication aversion is now from being assist-fed for so long as a
      kitten. He HATES to even have to approach him like you are going to pill him.
      I feel so bad for him and it stressed him out so bad but was absolutely
      necessary to save his life for so long, I just don't have the heart to put
      him thru it daily.

      SUSAN/RJ
      Riverside, CA

      In a message dated 7/25/2013 7:23:00 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      anyes@... writes:

      have you tried the antihistamine in babyfood, tuna, or a piece of
      cheese? I totally relate as my Jasmine who was orphaned at 3 days old,
      and had meds shoved down her throat for months is a devil to pill.
      J.R. is blessed to have found you. It's so sad what some people do to
      animals out there. Thank God for compassionate people like you to speak
      up for them
      Anyes and the snotty girls

      On 7/25/2013 9:41 PM, _barngirrl@..._ (mailto:barngirrl@...) wrote:
      > R.J. is only 3 years old and is stunted from his bout as a kitten with
      FHV,
      > he's the size of a 4 month old kitten with the voice to match, he's a
      tiny
      > brown tabby, really cute. Not a socialized bone in his body though, taken
      > from mama way too young. Rams the other cats really hard here for licks
      > and gets swiped for it and still won't learn.... His turbinates were
      > damaged permanently and he wheezes due to that. So its not even entirely
      > treatable but would likely get better with an antihistamine if I could
      pill him or
      > get him to eat canned food or even a treat pocket. He's AWFUL, he flips
      > himself backwards if you even touch his mouth to pill him - and is very
      > squirmy, tiny and impossible to hold. I have pilled a million cats and I
      can't
      > do him. AND he won't let me shut him in a room to eat canned food alone -
      > so that's out. I've tried everything I can think of, anyone have a new
      > idea?

    • susan_mikey
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 25, 2013
        And now my old dog Cooper the border collie black lab mix is getting really
        bad about eating treats with his pills in them. He gets Carprofen
        (generic Rimadyl), a tiny round white Ultram and only a few more days of
        antibiotics for a skin infection and he refuses to eat them in anything now. When I
        open his mouth to pill him, he clamps it shut so hard, I'm afraid I'm
        going to break his jaw by pilling him. I'm going to take a video of him, my
        best friend told me yesterday to get hot dogs and give it to him in those. I
        thought, that's a great idea, he loves them and won't have a clue for at
        least a week, then I'll find the next pill pocket. So I find hotdogs at the
        store (had to ask what section they are in b/c I've been vegetarian and
        then vegan for almost 40 years) and they are on sale, $1.50 each! What a
        great deal for treat pockets, so I buy three pkgs. And I put Cooper's pill one
        by one hidden really deep in pieces and he put it on the ground and sits
        there, eating it like its a piece of corn, biting of tiny pieces all around
        the pill. I hate to tape it, its too funny. Now I have 2.75 pkgs of hot
        dogs to give away.

        SUSAN/Mikey/Kobe/Toney