Re; Cheapest Place purchase flea meds

  • Diane Brookins
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 28, 2013
      Be very careful with the flea protection. Using the dog vials is not recommended - even if you use a smaller dose of it! I have a friend who's cat recently died because of a dog flea protector being put on her cat by her mother. How very sad it was� Also, another friend who had her carpet treated for fleas�her cat died a slow sad death when they didn't realize why he was sick�. Be very careful with the flea protection. I totally agree with the dosing by weight and lowering the dosage if your cat is smaller. It is just so easy to over dose if your not careful!!

    • Jenn
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 29, 2013
        On Jun 28, 2013, at 10:28 AM, Diane Brookins <brookins.diane@...> wrote:

        >> Since I have so many rescues, I purchase the large dog sized vials
        >> (40-85lbs), empty contents into one of those vials they use to draw
        >> human blood into for blood tests, but been times I have just used an
        >> empty Clavamox bottle, et. Then I just use a syringe and draw up the
        >> proper dosage by weight. Sure saves a ton of money and doesn't over
        >> medicate the animal!

        I used to volunteer at a feral cat spay/neuter group and you can pick various areas. I did post-op once. It was fun! While the cats were still under anesthesia you would clean the ears, give the fur a comb over, apply anti-bleed powder to the tipped ear, and give a dose of flea medicine. They used an oral medicine syringe, I forget the dose, and they had the medicine (I'm pretty sure it was frontline) in a short glass bottle. I thought it was neat as all get out.

        I'd use that method at home except that it seems a bit more involved and I know I'd mess up the dosages. The little squeeze bottles have their drawbacks though. I never feel like I get all the medicine out of the little squeeze vials.

        Jenn