Re: [felineherpes]feline herpes Steroid shots

  • caraleekanab
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 18, 2013
      Steroids make herpes worse because they suppress the very immune system the
      cat needs to help fight off the virus. Steroid shots will not, repeat will
      not, help herpes get better; on the contrary, it will make it worse in the
      long run.

      Caralee

      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 18, 2013
        It is okay for dire situations, but eventually it can damage the kidneys. I would try everything else first.
        Debbie and Smokey

        ________________________________
        What is everyone's feelings about steroid shots to help with feline herpes? My at also has seizures.

      • tonkmama
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 18, 2013
          My Cody was given steroid shots, and they made him much worse. He did not start to recover from his flare up until the steroid shot wore off.
          --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, Deborah Rouse <dezie212@...> wrote:

          > It is okay for dire situations, but eventually it can damage the kidneys. I would try everything else first.
          > Debbie and Smokey
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Kim Gerred
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 18, 2013
            Sometimes, adding a steroid is unavoidable, due to other existing conditions (asthma, IBD), but if the issue were only FHV (feline herpes virus) alone, personally I would not add it. My 2.5-yr old boy with FHV also has IBD, which requires him to take daily steroids (prednisolone). They help control the inflammation in his intestines, due to the IBD. Without the steroids, his appetite drops to zero. I have not really seen that much of a change in his FHV (feline herpes virus) symptoms (worse or better) since he has been on the steroids. Though, he is flat-faced and has had cherry-eye surgery in both eyes (different times), so that my influence his "weepy" eyes, as well. I do keep him on a daily antihistamine and L-lysine, which seem to help. Kim
            To: felineherpes@yahoogroups.com
            From: dezie212@...
            Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 13:33:34 -0700
            Subject: Re: [felineherpes]feline herpes Steroid shots

            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 18, 2013
              I would like to thank everyone for the comments about steroids. This e mail may sound jumbled so I apologize ahead of time. I love my cat with all my heart but I don't know what else to do anymore. My vet is not very helpful with suggestions, always keeps mentioning putting him down, and charges astronomically high prices with no payment plans and hates that I'm in this group. Every time I mention a medicine someone used in here and said worked and helped there cat he shoots it down. My cat current situation is this, he has a history of seizures and has been on phenobarb since August. Until Tuesday he hasn't had a seizure, since Tuesday he has had one each day while being on the Phenobarb. At the last vet appointment they said he has a eye ulcer, I've been putting antibiotic ointment on it, his eyes are more clear now and more open, not sure how ulcer is. He's been hungry but only eating chicken baby food by mouth and I have to syringe feed him his cat food. At today's visit, he hasn't lost any weight, he's 7.6pounds but the vet said he probably isn't eating cause his tongue is covered in ulcers. His comment was if I wasn't going to put him down the only thing he could think of that might help him was the Depo Medrol 20mg steroid shot. He said it may or may not help the flare up of ulcers and if it did help it may help a couple dayts, weeks or months. And he didnt know if it would affect his seizures. I also had phenobarb blood panels done today, I'm still waiting on some results but his liver levels were elevated to the 400's. currently my little one is on phenobarb, Llysiene, antibiotic ointment for eyes and LDN (low dose naltrexone) to boost his immune system. For everything my little one is going through he is still a living, constantly purring, cuddly/snuggling, happy, playful cat. (Forgot to mention my guy also sneezes alot and seems to have alot of congestion. Vet says other than saline drops and humidifier or steam from shower which I do, there is nothing to help nose). Can anyone offer any help/advice: finding a better vet, financial assistance, payment plans, support anything. Times like this I feel like a bad mother. If anyone is interested or close to Baltimore I would really like to meet, get together in person, talk, meet Mischief. I need some help and support please. Thank you everyone for taking the time to read this.

              Sent from my iPhone
            • caraleekanab
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 18, 2013
                Without a doubt I'd find another vet. There are many on this list who have
                searched out "second opinions" and have had much better help with their
                cats. Are you able to do that? Your vet sounds not only uniformed, but
                arrogant.
                Caralee

                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 18, 2013
                  Wow - it really sounds like you need to start looking for a new vet. Or
                  at least get a second opinion. Previously I also went to a vet who did
                  not appreciate my suggestions (from the on-line groups) and I really had
                  to stand my ground and demand certain tests/medication, as had been
                  recommened by those in the on-line groups. You may have to do the same
                  thing. Then, after over 10 years with the same vet, I finally made a
                  switch to a new (cat-only) vet and was so glad I did. The new vet works
                  with me and is interested in the suggestions from the Yahoo groups.

                  I'm sorry that I am not familiar with seizures or ulcers in cats, but if
                  the ulcer is preventing Mischief from eating, you may want to consider
                  joining the Feline Assisted Feeding group
                  (http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline-Assisted-Feeding/
                  their advice about an e-tube, at least until the ulcers are healed.
                  That way, you can make sure Mischief is getting the nutrition he needs,
                  and can help with administering meds, as well. You are not alone and I
                  and others in this group are there for you.

                  Kim

                  --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, Tink wrote:

                  > I would like to thank everyone for the comments about steroids. This e
                  mail may sound jumbled so I apologize ahead of time. I love my cat with
                  all my heart but I don't know what else to do anymore. My vet is not
                  very helpful with suggestions, always keeps mentioning putting him down,
                  and charges astronomically high prices with no payment plans and hates
                  that I'm in this group. Every time I mention a medicine someone used in
                  here and said worked and helped there cat he shoots it down. My cat
                  current situation is this, he has a history of seizures and has been on
                  phenobarb since August. Until Tuesday he hasn't had a seizure, since
                  Tuesday he has had one each day while being on the Phenobarb. At the
                  last vet appointment they said he has a eye ulcer, I've been putting
                  antibiotic ointment on it, his eyes are more clear now and more open,
                  not sure how ulcer is. He's been hungry but only eating chicken baby
                  food by mouth and I have to syringe feed him his cat food.

                  At today's visit, he hasn't lost any weight, he's 7.6pounds but the vet
                  said he probably isn't eating cause his tongue is covered in ulcers. His
                  comment was if I wasn't going to put him down the only thing he could
                  think of that might help him was the Depo Medrol 20mg steroid shot. He
                  said it may or may not help the flare up of ulcers and if it did help it
                  may help a couple dayts, weeks or months. And he didnt know if it would
                  affect his seizures. I also had phenobarb blood panels done today, I'm
                  still waiting on some results but his liver levels were elevated to the
                  400's. currently my little one is on phenobarb, Llysiene, antibiotic
                  ointment for eyes and LDN (low dose naltrexone) to boost his immune
                  system. For everything my little one is going through he is still a
                  living, constantly purring, cuddly/snuggling, happy, playful cat.
                  (Forgot to mention my guy also sneezes alot and seems to have alot of
                  congestion. Vet says other than saline drops and humidifier or steam
                  from shower which I do, there is nothing to help nose). Can anyone offer
                  any help/advice: finding a better vet, financial assistance, payment
                  plans, support anything. Times like this I feel like a bad mother. If
                  anyone is interested or close to Baltimore I would really like to meet,
                  get together in person, talk, meet Mischief. I need some help and
                  support please. Thank you everyone for taking the time to read this.

                  > Sent from my iPhone

                • Mari Serrano
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 18, 2013
                    Hi Tink ~
                    I have a 20 1/2 yr old kitty name June - Pic attached. For the congestion; maybe a nebulizer could help; see link below. I'm researching this now for my kitty that has terrible congestion and a wheezing noise comes from his nose sometimes; I can actually she the inside of the skin thickening so much that his nostril is almost closed so breathing is a challenge thus the wheezing noise. See attached pic; he lost his eye due to complications of his herpes virus.  He had a corneal ulcer that even with 5 different eye drops and antibiotics for months at a time for over a year and a half finally the ulcer was hanging from his eye so it had to be removed. He adjusted very quickly to having one eye. My poor guy also has CRF and sometimes rebounds of diabetes due to his herpes virus flareups.  He also has IBD and arthritis, but he is doing ok today. I give him mirtazapine when he doesn't want to eat. However, I'm not sure if this will help if he had mouth
                    ulcers. Maybe get some kind of pain med then use mirtazapine to stimulate his appetite. It helps my cat greatly and he eats on his own, but he doesn't have the ulcers.  I hope that you will go to another vet and also an opthomologist. I reside in LA so I can't recommend one in your area. I hope others will have suggestions. Just so you know the lump that grew on my cats eye was a grey color.  It's so important to get that checked out because it could lead to more problems. I'm now giving carafate to coat his stomach from his IBD. I just pilled him today with #3 gel caps & it was surprisingly easy; better than crushing meds and using syringe to give these meds; I believe that upset his stomach and caused some stomach lining issues. More info that you needed, but just in case for future reference or if you forgot to list as we mothers and fathers do in out stressed out state of saving our furry babies.  Good Luck 2 U & know that U R Not a bad mommy.
                     http://justnebulizers.com/omron-compair-nebulizer-system-ne-c801.html

                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 18, 2013
                      Thank you for all your helpful information

                      --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, Mari Serrano <hope4animals09@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Tink ~
                      > I have a 20 1/2 yr old kitty name June - Pic attached. For the congestion; maybe a nebulizer could help; see link below. I'm researching this now for my kitty that has terrible congestion and a wheezing noise comes from his nose sometimes; I can actually she the inside of the skin thickening so much that his nostril is almost closed so breathing is a challenge thus the wheezing noise. See attached pic; he lost his eye due to complications of his herpes virus.  He had a corneal ulcer that even with 5 different eye drops and antibiotics for months at a time for over a year and a half finally the ulcer was hanging from his eye so it had to be removed. He adjusted very quickly to having one eye. My poor guy also has CRF and sometimes rebounds of diabetes due to his herpes virus flareups.  He also has IBD and arthritis, but he is doing ok today. I give him mirtazapine when he doesn't want to eat. However, I'm not sure if this will help if he had mouth
                      > ulcers. Maybe get some kind of pain med then use mirtazapine to stimulate his appetite. It helps my cat greatly and he eats on his own, but he doesn't have the ulcers.  I hope that you will go to another vet and also an opthomologist. I reside in LA so I can't recommend one in your area. I hope others will have suggestions. Just so you know the lump that grew on my cats eye was a grey color.  It's so important to get that checked out because it could lead to more problems. I'm now giving carafate to coat his stomach from his IBD. I just pilled him today with #3 gel caps & it was surprisingly easy; better than crushing meds and using syringe to give these meds; I believe that upset his stomach and caused some stomach lining issues. More info that you needed, but just in case for future reference or if you forgot to list as we mothers and fathers do in out stressed out state of saving our furry babies.  Good Luck 2 U & know that U R Not a bad mommy.
                      >  http://justnebulizers.com/omron-compair-nebulizer-system-ne-c801.html

                    • Deborah Rouse
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 19, 2013
                        Tink,
                        you sound like me. My vet said I read too much. REALLY? Stupity and blind allegance is better? The vet I was going to made me feel bad, so I wondered why am I paying to be ridiculed. I am also in the stomatitis yahoo group and they recommended a place in Dallas that has a syrup for the mouth problems..yes I live in Louisiana...so I called them today and asked if they worked with anybody here and they had two names for me...so I will be trying someone new very soon.
                        'I also learned from a  vet that practises oriental medicine...that chicken can be inflaming if inflammation is present...so they reccomend turkey, rabbit and duck and fish...beef is neutral when not inflammed. if you want google chinese medicine and cooling foods...
                        thanks
                        and hang in there!
                        debbie and smokey

                        ________________________________

                      • cat_mail@rocketmail.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 21, 2013
                          How do you use the nebulizer. IN his mouth nose. Bones will not even sit still for me wrapped in a towel. Does it take more than three minutes.

                        • cat_mail@rocketmail.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 21, 2013

                          • cat_mail@rocketmail.com
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 21, 2013
                              How do you use the nebulizer. IN his mouth nose. Bones will not even sit still for me wrapped in a towel. Does it take more than three minutes.

                              --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, "tearsofheaven2005" <queentink975@...> wrote:

                              > Thank you for all your helpful information
                              >
                              > --- In felineherpes@yahoogroups.com, Mari Serrano <hope4animals09@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi Tink ~
                              > > I have a 20 1/2 yr old kitty name June - Pic attached. For the congestion; maybe a nebulizer could help; see link below. I'm researching this now for my kitty that has terrible congestion and a wheezing noise comes from his nose sometimes; I can actually she the inside of the skin thickening so much that his nostril is almost closed so breathing is a challenge thus the wheezing noise. See attached pic; he lost his eye due to complications of his herpes virus.  He had a corneal ulcer that even with 5 different eye drops and antibiotics for months at a time for over a year and a half finally the ulcer was hanging from his eye so it had to be removed. He adjusted very quickly to having one eye. My poor guy also has CRF and sometimes rebounds of diabetes due to his herpes virus flareups.  He also has IBD and arthritis, but he is doing ok today. I give him mirtazapine when he doesn't want to eat. However, I'm not sure if this will help if he had mouth
                              > > ulcers. Maybe get some kind of pain med then use mirtazapine to stimulate his appetite. It helps my cat greatly and he eats on his own, but he doesn't have the ulcers.  I hope that you will go to another vet and also an opthomologist. I reside in LA so I can't recommend one in your area. I hope others will have suggestions. Just so you know the lump that grew on my cats eye was a grey color.  It's so important to get that checked out because it could lead to more problems. I'm now giving carafate to coat his stomach from his IBD. I just pilled him today with #3 gel caps & it was surprisingly easy; better than crushing meds and using syringe to give these meds; I believe that upset his stomach and caused some stomach lining issues. More info that you needed, but just in case for future reference or if you forgot to list as we mothers and fathers do in out stressed out state of saving our furry babies.  Good Luck 2 U & know that U R Not a bad mommy.
                              > >  http://justnebulizers.com/omron-compair-nebulizer-system-ne-c801.html

                            • Kim Gerred
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 21, 2013
                                Here's a great video on YouTube on how to nebulize a rabbit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JpVeWhJ8RAThe same could be done for a cat in a carrier. Hope this helps. Kim To: felineherpes@yahoogroups.com
                                From: cat_mail@...
                                Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 00:46:26 +0000

> [...]

                                > > drops and humidifier or steam from shower which I do, there is nothing to help nose). Can anyone offer any help/advice: finding a better vet, financial assistance, payment plans, support anything. Times like this I feel like a bad mother. If anyone is interested or close to Baltimore I would really like to meet, get together in person, talk, meet Mischief. I need some help and support please. Thank you everyone for taking the time to read this.

                              • Mari Serrano
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 22, 2013
                                  Hi Cat,

                                  Below is a response I rec'd re: Nebulizer and how to use it.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 23, 2013
                                    thanks . Do you have address of place to purchase nebulizer.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 23, 2013
                                      This is the one I purchased (and was recommended to me by another member of this group):
                                      http://www.allergybegone.com/devilbiss-3655lt-pulmoneb.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=nextag
                                      I would recommend also buying an extra medicine cup/mouth piece and extra tubing at the same time (as cats sometimes tend to chew through the tubing or medicine cup). You may want to order a couple of extra sandstone-type filters, too, as they should be changed out once a month. I did that and I belive my order was just over $50 for everything (though I'll have to check). You can run it with plain saltwater (same idea as "steaming" the kitty in the shower) or with medications. Gentamicin Sulfate and Mucomist (same thing as mucinex just the nebulizer version instead of pills) are common medications for the neublizer, as well, and would need to be prescribed by your vet.

                                      Kim To: felineherpes@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: cat_mail@...
                                      Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 10:59:40 +0000

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 24, 2013
                                        Cat,

                                        Below is where I got my Nebulizer.  I got the NE-C801 system. Good Price & will work for my FHV kitty when he gets congested.

                                        https://justnebulizers.com

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Apr 25, 2013
                                          My cat was put on steroid.s First day he ate like a pig. After that practically stopped eating. The vet said he had asthma because he was making funny sounds. I look back and dont think it was asthma. I could of lost him if I kept him on it. What is wrong with these vets. I would not use this med unless cat has a known history of asthma as that is what it is suppose to be used for.

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 25, 2013
                                            Well, there are still vets out there who would have to close their doors if
                                            it weren't for amoxicillin, clavamox, and steroids. I wish they would try to
                                            at least keep up...
                                            Caralee

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Apr 25, 2013
                                              I had to change vets because he kept giving Cody steroid shots, and the poor cat got sicker and sicker. I'm not defending the vet, but he is an old timer, and has done a lot of good, too. But his practice is very busy, and I guess he hasn't taken time to keep up with newer treatments. I think there was a generation of vets for whom the standard treatment for all kinds of problems was a shot of antibiotics and steroids. It's up to us as owners to insist on the right treatment for our cats (just like we're responsible for making sure our own medical care is appropriate, doctors aren't any better than vets!)

                                              I, too, am very grateful to this group for the guidance and support I've received. They saved Cody. He would say thank you, too, but he is very busy this afternoon watching birds and sunbathing...:)

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Apr 25, 2013
                                                Corticosteroids are also commonly used for the treatment of IBD (inflammatory bowel disease), as well. FYIKim To: felineherpes@yahoogroups.com
                                                From: cat_mail@...
                                                Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 15:53:09 +0000